Monday, May 9, 2016

Album Review: Views by Drake


Of all the big albums in 2016, I can't think of one that I'm less excited to listen to. Yes, that includes Meghan Meghans' upcoming release, which I think will be way worse than this. But this...all I've heard are mediocre things about it. Last week was exciting because Lemonade was critically acclaimed. But this? Its success is pretty much coasting on Drake's momentum at this point. I really hope the guy takes a break after this album. But until then, I'm here. I'm reviewing it. Deal with it.

If you wanna see how I'd rank these songs (except for Hotline Bling, Pop Style, One Dance, and Summers Over Interlude), check back tomorrow for Highlights.

1. Keep the Family Close
I have a feeling this is supposed to be like the Marvins Room of this album. And for that, it's not bad. I mean, as far as weary, angsty songs go, it's not really doing it for me as much as At Night, Alone., but I'll take it.

2. 9
Drake's flow is sloooooooow here thanks to him pausing for a couple seconds after every line. You can't do that in a rap song. And the instrumentation's not interesting enough to keep me engaged. It's not bad, it's just...there. Basic rap drums and synths. Yawn.

3. U With Me?
Well...at least he had energy in the last track. Here he just kinda sounds like he's rambling and any proper flow is accidental. Drake, you're only three tracks in. You can't sound like you're bored yet. C'mon.

4. Feel No Ways
Production here sounds alright, but it sounds cheap. Other than that, eh, decent. One of the more interesting songs on this album so far. I find myself wishing there was a little more to it, though. I guess that drum break in the middle is pretty sweet.

5. Hype
Drake sounds more focused in this song. Too bad I can't say the same about the production. Typical trap drums, faded synths. The production doesn't really sound finished. Also, "Views already a classic?" I wouldn't be so sure about that... Still, Drake's rapping does keep it a little above average.

6. Weston Road Flows
Ooh, I like this. The production has a high-class vibe. The lyrics are a little corny, but can be forgiven. Besides, overall it feels like everything Started From The Bottom should have been. It's way more relatable. So yeah, we got a gem here.

7. Redemption
I take back what I said before, this feels more like this album's Marvins Room. Decent and all. Though I kinda like Keep The Family Close more. Though the track does get even better when Drake starts rapping. So it gets points for that.

8. With You (ft. PARTYNEXTDOOR)
A little island flair in this song. Though I can't help but feel the bass is kinda badly mixed here. Other than that, it kinda just exists. I would think about partying would be more upbeat. Also there are vocals that I swear sound just like The Weeknd.

9. Faithful (ft. Pimp C & dvsn)
It starts out with I assume Pimp C sounding like a legit old school rapper. That was a neat treat. It instantly becomes less interesting when Drake starts singing/rapping. Also the production sounds unfocused. Like it's trying to do something with the drums on the off-beat. It just sounds awkward.

10. Still Here
Derob. Derob. Derob... I just...don't care. About anything he's saying right now. The warbling synths aren't helping either. Also what's with that screaming drum loop toward the end?

11. Controlla
From what I hear, someone named Popcaan is on this track. He kinda sounds like Shaggy. Other than those few seconds he's on, this just feels like a worse version of One Dance. I guess now I kinda get the hate for that song.

12. One Dance (ft. Wizkid & Kyla)
Speak of the devil. You know, the more I think about this song, the more I like about it. The punctual piano, the shimmering guitars. It's kinda similar to the way Hotline Bling grew on me.

13. Grammys (ft. Future)
I feel like Drake and Future's parts are two completely different songs. That's not a good thing. And oddly enough...Future's part is more interesting. I was not expecting that. Bumping bass, pretty good bars. Think he repeats the words "They gon' think I won a Grammy" too much though.

14. Childs Play
I do kinda like the groove in this song. Drake seems pretty focused. That already puts it in the upper tier of songs from this album. Even if it isn't particularly special. Eh. Also I don't think I should Google this song given the...thing that's associated with the phrase. Thanks for not referencing that, Drake.

15. Pop Style
This version of the song does not have Kanye. I think Jay-Z's still on it though. It still sucks bad. Like, I've complained about how bored I am with some of these songs, but this is the first one I actively dislike. Who thought that bass distortion was a good idea?

16. Too Good (ft. Rihanna)
This song really shines when Rihanna starts singing. She kinda steals the show, and she sounds so alive. Drake's also decent. Nice marching drum beat. Yeah, good stuff! Kinda wish more of the album was like this.

17. Summers Over Interlude
This is the only song on the album that hasn't hit the Hot 100. Given that this is nothing but an interlude, though, that's understandable. It's a decent interlude, though. Been forever since I heard an interlude to an album I felt was justified.

18. Fire & Desire
Oh god this is boring. Incredibly slow, Drake sounds like he's running out of things to say. Nothing about this is interesting. Or accurately portrays fire. Maybe desire, but not fire. You want fire from Drake? Back to Back. Or Energy. Those are much better.

19. Views
This could technically be considered the end of the album since Hotline Bling is technically considered a bonus track. The beat's fine. The high-class vocal samples are cool, but Weston Road Flows did it better. And Drake's serviceable, I'll give him that.

20. Hotline Bling
You all know this one. You know it, you love it. Maybe you don't love it. But you love the memes! Personally, this song still holds up. Even though Drake could stand to be less controlling of someone he hasn't seen in years.

Final Verdict: Pretty boring experience. You guys weren't kidding. The same production tricks are used throughout the album: faded synths, slow bass, sometimes trap percussion. It gets old after 20 tracks and nearly an hour and a half. Even Drake sounds bored on some of these. Fortunately for the album's sake, there are a few standout gems, and there were only two tracks I outright hated. So at least it's not a total waste. But seriously, I would not count on this count on being a classic if it's this draining to sit through, Drake.

Rating: 5/10
Best songs: Weston Road Flows, Keep the Family Close, Too Good, One Dance
Worst songs: Pop Style, Fire & Desire, Still Here, U With Me?

No comments:

Post a Comment