Monday, May 2, 2016

Album Review: Lemonade by Beyoncé


I was going to wait to do this. But, it seems Billboard has forced my hand. Every single song from this album hit the Hot 100 at the same time. So, instead of listening to it in full tomorrow, I'm going to be listening to it today (on Monday) so I won't have to essentially review this album twice. Then again, I've heard good things about this album. Hopefully you don't disappoint. Even though I've never been a fan of Beyoncé.

I'll mention my favorite and least favorite tracks here, but if you wanna see how I'd rank all of them, wait for Highlights tomorrow.

1. Pray You Catch Me
I actually really like the vocal layering in the intro. It sounds amazing. And I like the slow piano chords against more pop-oriented production. Also gonna have to guess the lyrics are about Jay-Z? Anyway, you have my attention, Bey. You definitely started this off on the right foot.

2. Hold Up
We got some Caribbean vibes here. And that one air horn sound effect, which is somehow not annoying here. It's minimalist for the most part, and Beyoncé's actually on fire here. She puts Hov in his place while making it clear she's still in love with him. So it feels real and kinda relatable.

3. Don't Hurt Yourself (ft. Jack White)
Groovy percussion with some rough organ notes. It definitely feels very Jack White. Beyoncé's primal screams are incredibly cathartic. I couldn't stop grooving to this one. I never would've thought this team-up would work, but damn. Now I want more.

4. Sorry
This song bites a little closer to trap. It is a little rough around the edges, and Beyoncé bites the "Migos" flow a bit too much, but overall I can kinda overlook it. It's pleasant enough, but so far it's the weakest offering on the album. Nowhere near bad, though.

5. 6 Inch (ft. The Weeknd)
This is smokey and hot as hell. Both Bey and The Weeknd are sharp on this. The trap elements are just perfect on this, possibly the best I've ever heard on a song. Lyrically it seems to be about a stripper who works hard to make ends meet. My only complaint is that The Weeknd doesn't sing quite enough on this.

6. Daddy Lessons
Getting jazzy and folky up in here, eh? It's actually a surprisingly good fit for Bey. Very emotional where it counts. Love the groove of the guitars and the hand claps. I never would have imagined her making a song like this, but there you have it.

7. Love Drought
Synths that go back and forth from being skittering to being space-like, paired with some heavy bass. It's minimalism and spaciness done pretty damn well. Sounds gorgeous. Beyoncé herself puts on a great show too.

8. Sandcastles
Next up is a piano ballad. A piano ballad that isn't afraid to be rough where it needs to be. That bit when Beyoncé raises her voice to the point of it cracking is possibly my favorite moment from the song. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just has to lay out emotions believably.

9. Forward (ft. James Blake)
This feels a bit like a continuation of Sandcastles. Made more apparent by the fact that it's only a minute and nineteen seconds long. I mean, it's musically fine and all, but it does seem a bit unnecessary. Never was much for interludes in albums.

10. Freedom (ft. Kendrick Lamar)
Fuzzy organ, marching band drums, gospel swell; this sounds retro in the best possible way. Like, I can imagine Beyoncé performing this at a night club in a movie or something like that. And then, Kendrick. Enough said.

11. All Night
And then we shift from gospel to jazz. And it's pretty freaking good as well. I love that bass and those horns. Great, passionate performance from Bey. All around phenomenal.

12. Formation
Some of the production quirks here just annoy me more than the contribute to the song. Specifically a sound I can only describe as a cartoonish spring sound effect. But there are still elements of the production that work for me. Beyoncé's doing...okay. Still, kind of a sharp difference in quality from the previous tracks. Even then, miles above the hits of her self-titled album.

Final Verdict: I can't believe I'm saying this, but this is one of the best albums of 2016 so far. I've liked very few Beyoncé songs I've heard, but nearly every song here is just so freaking good. Her lyrics show her passion in her shaky marriage with Jay-Z. Musically, there's a lot of different styles here, but the album stays coherent despite this. Besides, it's admirable to tackle this many styles of music and do them all well. Aside from the last track, these are all songs I can see myself listening to over and over again. Well done indeed.

Rating: 9/10
Best songs: Don't Hurt Yourself, Freedom, 6 Inch, Daddy Lessons
Worst songs: Formation, Forward

No comments:

Post a Comment