Friday, May 20, 2016

Album Review: Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande


You know, in between Meghan Meghans and Fifth Harmony, Ariana Grande's new album is the only ray of sunlight I see in May's major album releases. There have been some good songs, but there have also been some red flags. So it is kinda hard to gauge what I'm getting myself into here. If I can, I would like to do a video review on this album as well, but we'll see how that goes. So, Grande, show me what you got.
1. Moonlight
This kinda feels like a library, what with the soft tone, plucky strings and sensual delivery. It's actually pretty pleasant. I didn't really expect a softer track to work as an album opener, but it does work. It plays to Ariana's strengths and is actually believable.

2. Dangerous Woman
And from that into this album's title track. Even if Ariana's pushing it a little bit with saying she's a dangerous woman, the smokey production and guitars make a great case for it. It's almost hypnotizing in a way. And I love a good bluesy guitar solo. You don't hear that in pop music nearly enough.

3. Be Alright
Gonna say what I said about this song previously in Highlights: Ariana's performance in this song is stellar. However, the production doesn't always match this. The instrumentation's too underwritten especially during the chorus, and that holds it back. Still, it's good. Just should've been great.

4. Into You
Now I just love this song. Instrumentally, it's like the opposite of Be Alright, in that it goes full force in the chorus. I've actually listened to this song in particular multiple times this week before listening to the full album. Probably the most addictive song Ariana's ever made.

5. Side To Side (ft. Nicki Minaj)
Tropical feelings and whatnot. In that respect it does feel very much a product of 2016 music trends. Not gonna complain though. That bass in particular is just too tasty. I swear half of Nicki's verse sounds like it was originally intended for Rihanna though. Her verse is okay, but I honestly prefer Ariana. At least here.

6. Let Me Love You (ft. Lil Wayne)
Oh boy, coming back to this song I'm finding less and less to like about it. Ariana's attempts to croon here come off as more creepy than they do. The trap production feels out of place. Lil Wayne...why is he even on here? So, not a fan.

7. Greedy
Woo! We got some retro flair here. Can't believe we don't have more Ariana Grande songs in this vein. Though saying you're greedy for love is a bit of an odd sentiment I don't think I can get behind. But damn, this track is just fun despite that. So it gets a pass.

8. Leave Me Lonely (ft. Macy Grey)
And it looks like we're keeping the retro R&B train going. This one's more down-tempo and subtle, and I like it for different reasons than Greedy. It's still stylish and captivating. Also I love Macy Grey's vocals on this. It's got a distinct air of mystery that blends in well with the music.

9. Everyday (ft. Future)
Even though the chorus is an explosion of bass like on Into You, I'm a bit more ambivalent on this one. It took me a little while to really get into it. Future's not bad on this at all, so it does have that going for it. But compared to the other songs, this does feel a bit overmixed.

10. Sometimes
Based off a simple acoustic guitar lick, but adds onto it with bassy synths. It actually works better than I would have expected. It's kind of a beautiful listen in a weird way. Ariana gives one of her best vocal performances on this. Even with the reverb and echo at the 2/3 mark.

11. I Don't Care
And the standard edition of this album ends on a downtempo track. Has nice use of strings and horns, and does its job well. Even if it's not one of the better tracks on the album, it is sensual and calming. Decent end to a good album.

Final Verdict: This didn't disappoint. Ariana takes on a good amount of subgenres of pop and does most of them justice. She has great vocal performances throughout that actually sell her as sexually experienced. A big part of that is thanks to her doing more cooing than belting. Instrumentation is mostly good, too. Even when it didn't hit the mark for me, it was at least interesting and memorable. So yeah, I was scared this wouldn't turn out so great, but Ariana Grande managed to impress me.

Rating: 7/10
Best songs: Into You, Dangerous Woman, Sometimes
Worst songs: Let Me Love You, Be Alright

No comments:

Post a Comment