Saturday, May 7, 2016

Album Review: At Night, Alone. by Mike Posner


So, Mike Posner. Mike. Posner. Yeah. You know, I have some reasonably high hopes for this album. You know how much I love Ibiza. Well, mostly the remix. But still, that's more than enough promise. Besides, might as well do something I think I'll like before I tackle some stuff I know is gonna suck. Namely Meghan Meghans. Alright, Posner. You're no longer doing the hot boy shtick. Let's see what you got.

And yes I will be talking about the remixes.
1. At Night, Alone
This track is just Mike telling you that the album is best listened to at night, alone. Well, it's not quite night technically. I'm kinda alone. Maybe I should heed his advice? Am I looking too deeply into this? Maybe.

2. I Took A Pill In Ibiza
Do not care what Todd says, this version is still fine by me. It's somber and gripping through and through. Yeah, the remix is a lot better, but...c'mon. C. 'Mon.

3. Not That Simple
Memories of a lost love. Yeah, that sucks... But, better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all, as they say. This is making my soul hurt. It's making me think of my high school crush. Also it's freaking beautiful. The keys and violins are perfect.

4. Be As You Are
And now we're back to the Cooler Than Me days. In terms of subject, not sound. The pan flutes are great here, and Mike's still got my heart by the balls. Still sympathizing with the guy. Didn't think I would be thinking this a couple years ago.

5. In the Arms of a Stranger
Now we're getting a little more upbeat. At least musically. Still kinda dark lyrically. Desperation. Loneliness. It doesn't hit as hard as the past couple tracks, but it's still serviceable.

6. Silence (ft. Labrinth)
Yikes. That's a lot of Mike's upper register. The verses are odd and experimental, sounding like strums of an out-of-tune guitar. The chorus goes for theatrics, but it doesn't really work that well. Okay, not a fan of this.

7. Iris
Okay good, the derailment only lasted for one song. Unrequited love. Really. Freaking. Sucks. Jeez. I feel like I'm gonna burst into tears just listening to this. I can't remember the last time music has made me feel that way. Probably Macklemore's Starting Over. 

8. Only God Knows
Bring on the acapella gospel! I like this touch, kinda switches things up. Even if lyrically it's still angsty. And I mean that in the best way.

9. Jade
Oh wow this is dark. Right from the word go, those bass notes say it all. This actually sounds like something Green Day could've made in the American Idiot days. Even the reverb on Mike's voice makes him sound like Billie Joel Armstrong. Yeah, I dig this.

10. One Hell of a Song
You're right, Mike. You do write one hell of a song. I may not have liked everything you write, but I can definitely respect your hustle. And I definitely respect this song in particularly. As well as many others on this album.

11. Buried In Detroit
I've never felt comfortable contemplating my own death, or what will happen to me when I die. That stuff scares the shit out of me. Maybe that's why song's hitting like a sucker punch. Really, that describes nearly every song on this album. This was pretty damn masterful, Mike. Now I really am crying...

12. Thank You
You're welcome Mike. You're welcome... 

13. I Took A Pill In Ibiza (SeeB Remix)
You guys already know how I feel about this one. It was the first song I reviewed in video format. You can watch that on Vimeo for more if you're interested. I will say here, though, that production is just the perfect balance of somber and trippy.

14. Not That Simple (Kyle Tree Remix)
This seems kinda similar to something I'd hear on a Super Nintendo. The original hit me more, but This Kyle Tree guy's still doing a pretty good job. It still works great as a tropical EDM track.

15. Be As You Are (JordanXL Remix)
Keeps the essence of the original while still making it danceable and trippy. That's what I was hoping would happen with this remixes. The drops ain't bad either. None of them have matched Ibiza's yet though. This one in particular give me Owl City vibes.

16. In The Arms of a Stranger (Brian Kierulf Remix)
Now here's a track I think I like a little more as an EDM song. I considered this one of the weaker original songs, and this is kind of an improvement in terms of mood and sound. Tropical style production I'm kind of a sucker for that.

17. Silence (Sluggo x Loote Remix) (ft. Labrinth)
Here's another case where the remix improves upon the original. It's still not that great, but hey, it makes more sense in this form.

18. Buried in Detroit (Lucas Löwe Remix) (ft. Big Sean)
And the final track of the album gets more western influences in the remix. That's fine by me. Works both ways. But again, the original is better. Also this version adds a verse from Big Sean. He does a good job. Good job, Sean.

Final Verdict: This album hit me hard. It hit me where it counts, and that's why it's now one of my favorite albums of the year. There's a lot of great compositions on here, along with some gut-wrenching lyricism. I clearly have not given Mike Posner enough credit as a songwriter in the past. Many songs made me feel like crying, and some succeeded. In general, the originals are better than the remixes, but I'm not about to discredit the remixes by any means. All I know are sad songs...

Rating: 9/10
Best songs: Iris, Not That Simple, I Took A Pill In Ibiza (Remix), Be As You Are
Worst songs: Silence (Both), In The Arms of a Stranger

1 comment:

  1. Like his music btw prefer making tracks in similar genre , taking some loops from here
    www.lucidsamples.com

    ReplyDelete