Monday, February 29, 2016

Album Review: This Is Acting by Sia


I was originally going to let this one slide. What made me change my mind? I don't really know. Guess I just feel obligated to keep up with the biggest releases of the year now. I actually have higher expectations for this project than the last thing I reviewed, but ultimately, from reviews I've seen so far, it's not very promising. So, let's see if the pop world's favorite camera-shy belter has what it takes to make songs she wrote that other artists rejected work.

1. Bird Set Free
The piano in this song is simple yet effective. Kinda sounds like something Adele would sing. But Sia's vocal presence is too rough for her to be Adele. Other than that, this is pretty good.

2. Alive
I stand by this song being phenomenal. This is the kind of aggressive vocal personality and progressive piano melody that works well for me.

3. One Million Bullets
And here's a song where Sia's screeching kinda kills the mood. The beat's fine enough, if a bit overproduced and fuzzy at times. This one's tolerable, but probably would've worked better with a different singer.

4. Move Your Body
And here's a dance pop song. And it's actually pretty enjoyable. Especially those marching band snare drums in the chorus. It does what it's supposed to do, so it gets a thumbs up from yours truly. As if that means much.

5. Unstoppable
Kinda feels like Alive. Like, note-for-note and in concept. Not quite as good, but I'm okay with this. Besides, it's not even the most blatant example in music. See: Stevie Ray Vaughan's Pride & Joy vs I'm Cryin'.

6. Cheap Thrills
Not gonna lie, this song's grown on me a bit. It's okay. Though, the Sean Paul version is actually better in hindsight. Still, the desire for Sia to be Rihanna here is pretty blatant.

7. Reaper
I have a feeling I should like this song more than I do. Got a nice groove, but never rises above just being nice. Passable, but I've heard better on this record so far.

8. House on Fire
It feels like this beat should have more punch beyond the skittering percussion. Again, merely okay, nothing spectacular. Please let there be more gems later on.

9. Footprints
Another case of feeling like I should like this more. I love the bass and drums here, and the progression. But it doesn't hit me quite as much as it should. Still enjoyable regardless.

10. Sweet Design
I probably should've waiting before listening to the whole album before hearing this, because jeez this is awful. Sia was not meant to make butt anthems. Not to mention the production elements feel random and favor the drums for some reason. At least it's short.

11. Broken Glass
This song feels a little like a slow burn. I was unimpressed at first, but then it started building. This does the job for me, and it's one of Sia's best vocal performances on this album.

12. Space Between
Sia does show off some impressive vocals here, but the music is lacking. It feels like a buildup to something that never happens. Kinda makes it feel like more of a chore to listen through than anything.

Final verdict: It's an okay album. The majority of this album's offerings are at least good, with very little in terms of outright crap. Still, it feels as uneven as you would expect given the concept, and it doesn't have a lot of standout gems. Some of the songs don't really fit Sia as a performer, and come out weaker than they should. But overall, I think I enjoyed it more than most.

Rating: 6/10
Best songs: Alive, Move Your Body, Broken Glass
Worst songs: Sweet Design, Space Between, One Million Bullets

No comments:

Post a Comment