Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Album Review: Malibu by Anderson .Paak


This album got a lot of attention last month. Lots of praise and whatnot. Personally, though I've never heard of Anderson .Paak, so this should be interesting. I feel like I need to expand my hip hop horizons anyway. So, here goes nothing.

1. The Bird
Honestly, the bass kinda throws off the rhythm at points, mostly at the beginning. Takes a little bit to connect, but when it does, it hits hard. Great use of soul to open this album.

2. Heart Don't Stand a Chance
The To Pimp A Butterfly influences are becoming a little more apparent. But that's not a bad thing. In fact, with the guitar solo and drum solo, Paak seems to be making this style his own. I dig the hell out of this.

3. The Waters (ft. BJ the Chicago Kid)
Smooth bass and intricate flows. Ho mama, this is good.

4. The Season/Carry Me
Here I'm starting to notice some of the darker themes of this album. And they fit perfectly well with this intricate, jazzy composition. It hits hard.

5. Put Me Thru
I love the bass in this song. If you can't tell, I'm kind of a sucker for that kind of sound. This song takes me on a trip in just under 3 minutes. Awesome genre-bending too.

6. Am I Wrong (ft. ScHoolboy Q)
Bring the funk! I saw a critic compare this song to Outkast. Not too familiar with them, but that's gotta be a high compliment. And I love Q's verse.

7. Without You (ft. Rapsody)
Sensual yet harsh. The groove has an undeniable charm, and Rapsody's verse elevates the track further, giving an interesting contrast.

8. Parking Lot
I love the use of ambient synths and guitars. It's got this sort of hypnotizing quality that's hard not to get lost in.

9. Lite Weight (ft. The Free Nationals United Fellowship Choir)
This track's a little...lighter compared to the previous tracks. Instrumentation's good, but as a whole this song could've benefitted from more focus. Kinda feels like an interlude that ran for too long.

10. Room in Here (ft. The Game & Sonyae Elise)
Bringing back the sensual mood, eh? Paak is running circles around most other R&B stars these days when it comes to that. The Game also brings his A-game on his guest verse, and it's a nice treat.

11. Water Fall (Interluuube)
And the sensual mood of the last track continues into this interlude. It's cool and all, but doesn't do that much to stand out beyond being an interlude.

12. Your Prime
Pretty off-kilter for a sex song, but it works. Nice groove, humorous delivery. Pretty nice.

13. Come Down
The guitars here are utilized very well. Especially the bass. In fact, the whole album has had great bass playing. This song takes on an energetic groove, and doesn't let go for a second.

14. Silicon Valley
You know, we have too many songs about butts, and not enough about breasts. I ordinarily hate songs this transparent in their perversion, but Paak's delivery is so hilarious that I don't even mind. Plus the instrumentation's sexy as hell.

15. Celebrate
Another example of how awesome the groove-heavy bass is on this record. Overall, a nice lighthearted track that helps wind down my listening experience.

16. The Dreamer (ft. Talib Kweli & Timan Family Choir)
I can't think of a better way to end this album. Tight groove, colorful production. Lyrically, it even feels like the end of a story or an era. Talk about going out on a high note.

Final Verdict: This album feels a lot like something Kendrick Lamar would make. And while it's not as impactful thematically as To Pimp A Butterfly, I can't help but enjoy this one a little more. This has fantastic and varied instrumentation throughout. Aside from Paak himself, the bass and drums are the star of the show. I may not have heard that many albums so far this year, but at the moment, this is my favorite album of 2016.

Rating: Light 9/10
Best songs: Without You, Put Me Thru, Parking Lot, Come Down, Am I Wrong, The Dreamer
Worst songs: Lite Weight, Water Fall

No comments:

Post a Comment