Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Album Review: Death of a Bachelor by Panic! At The Disco


So here's a new thing I'm gonna try. If I'm gonna try to listen to more albums this year, I suppose I should start reviewing them here too so my blog's not just Billboard Highlights. Anyway, yes, I am late with this, I'm sorry. I meant to listen to it sooner. Maybe I was hesitant because busy life, and the fact that I've never heard another P!ATD album in full before. Oh well. Better late than never.

I'm gonna be tackling album reviews in a similar fashion to how I handle Highlights. I'll give brief opinions track-by-track. I won't be ranking them, though. The tracks are listed in the order they appear on the album.

Okay, here we go.

1. Victorious
Apparently this is one of the more despised songs on the album, but I love it. Full-force vocals with catchy, pulsing guitar riffs. This does a lot for me.

2. Don't Threaten Me With A Good Time
Rock Lobster sample? Well, color me intrigued. This actually does a good job of re-contextualizing, glorifying a destructive lifestyle in a tongue-in-cheek way. Brendon Urie is good at that.

3. Hallelujah
This song was everywhere on alternative radio this past summer. And I'm not sick of it. A little overproduced, but I honestly don't mind.

4. Emperor's New Clothes
Gloriously insane. Can be an exhaustive listen, but always entertaining.

5. Death of a Bachelor
Urie puts on his best Sinatra impression, and it works wondrously. That skittering organ solo is kinda strange.

6. Crazy=Genius
Deliciously jazzy. I could not stop dancing. Yeah, Urie seems to have an old-timey fetish with this record, but when it leads to something this great, it's hard to complain.

7. LA Devotee
I get somewhat of a surfer vibe from this track. Considering the insanity of the last track, this is a good one to slow down and collect yourself to.

8. Golden Days
This one doesn't have the same punch the other tracks did. It's alright, but a bit more generic and less memorable.

9. The Good, the Bad and the Dirty
Now we're picking up a little more stream. Good groove, but I'm not entirely sure what the title line is supposed to mean. Probably just something Urie thought sounded cool/funny.

10. House of Memories
This one's got a nice groove. This one is less forceful than some of the other tracks, but here it works to the song's advantage.

11. Impossible Year
And we close out on a ballad. Makes too much sense. Urie puts a lot of emotion into his performance and it's a stand-out end to this madness.

Final Verdict: I can see this being an exhaustive listen for some people, but for me, it works so well. This album makes debauchery interesting, with Brendon Urie's attitude and charisma investing me in every track. So yeah, I like this album. Probably more than most others did.

Rating: Strong 8/10
Best songs: Crazy=Genius, House of Memories, Victorious, Impossible Year, Emperor's New Clothes
Worst songs: Golden Days, The Good the Bad and the Dirty

No comments:

Post a Comment