Friday, February 26, 2016

Album Review: Vroom Vroom (EP) by Charli XCX


Yeah, the new Macklemore album came out today, and I will listen to that. As well as the new 1975 record. But right now, I'm gonna do something short. So far I've seen buzz for this EP being terrible. Is it terrible? At least to me? Well, let's find out.

1. Vroom Vroom
What's with the Sega Genesis bass? Charli's rapping is painfully cringey. Production elements feel random and painfully weak. What's even the point of this song?

2. Paradise (ft. Hannah Diamond)
Apart from the chipmunk voice, the beginning shows some promise. At least until a minute in until...I don't know what the hell? Way to waste a perfectly good buildup.

3. Trophy
God this is annoying. It's incoherent, messy, and overall unpleasant. Charli you're better than this. You don't work well with trap production.

4. Secret (Shh)
Charli does her best/worst Britney Spears, complete with tinny percussion. The bass is obnoxious and just bad. I feel like I shouldn't be listening to this.

Final Verdict: I have no idea why this thing needs to exist. Charli XCX attempts to assert herself as some awesome chick, which I already kinda believed without this EP. Lyrically, this is weak, and production-wise, it's cluttered and confused. There's only really one tolerable melody, but even that's squandered.

Rating: 1/10
Best song: Paradise
Worst song: Vroom Vroom

2 comments:

  1. This EP is produced by the guy who co-produced "Bitch I'm Madonna", SOPHIE. I'm not shocked at all that it is so, so bad. 1/10 is the exact rating I would give to this piece of dogshit. Since Sucker was more rock and True Romance was synthpop I thought that Charli XCX will make a hip-hop album. I was right but I regret it now.

    ReplyDelete