Sunday, February 28, 2016

Album Review: Nine Track Mind by Charlie Puth


...why did I agree to this? I haven't heard a single person say anything positive about this album, and yet I'm biting the bullet. I didn't want to hate this guy, but he's been shooting himself in the foot with every song after See You Again. But...yeah, let's get this over with. For both our sakes, Puth, I hope it's not as bad as everyone has said.

1. One Call Away
Crap it starts with this song. I hate this so much. Most of it is just boring, but that "Superman got nothing on me" line elevates it to being inexcusable. And I am not going to escape this crap all year...

2. Dangerously
What does "loving someone dangerously" even mean? The instrumental has potential, it really does, but jeez Puth doesn't do it any justice. He's taking himself so seriously it hurts.

3. Marvin Gaye (ft. Meghan Trainor)
Feels like I don't need to say anything here. Except that I still don't think it's as bad as people say. I just find it more meh than outright awful, out-of-place name drop aside.

4. Losing My Mind
Oh god he's trying to be a one-person boyband. Tell me this wouldn't fit in the discography of the Backstreet Boys or *NSYNC. Those vocal samples sound like crap, everything else is just eh.

5. We Don't Talk Anymore (ft. Selena Gomez)
Feels overproduced and yet underproduced at the same time. Puth is trying too hard, Gomez has no personality as per usual, they have no chemistry. No wonder this didn't chart for long.

6. My Gospel
Oh. My. God. Puth, you're not dangerous. You're one of the whitest performers this side of Nasri Atweh. And I thought One Call Away would be the most cringe-inducing thing on this record, but telling a story about robbing a bank for love kinda takes the cake.

7. Up All Night
Didn't blink-182 come have a better song with this title a while back? Oh well. I can't actually work up that much hatred for this song. It's inoffensive enough. Puth's performance isn't even that bad here. But he's far from convincing.

8. Left Right Left
Did he come up with the name of this song before anything else? Probably, I don't know. Mediocre!

9. Then There's You
Oh isn't that sweet, he's saying you're more than beautiful. Bite me. Puth is like the "nice guy" who you know this girl is gonna get bored with in a couple weeks, maybe sooner.

10. Suffer
Is Puth trying to sell this to the Fifty Shades of Grey crowd? Yeah, good luck with that. This is plodding and boring. Also, that falsetto thing Puth does on the chorus is just awful. Maybe the single worst moment on this album.

11. As You Are (ft. Shy Carter)
Give this to One Direction and what changes? Maybe more lively instrumentation. Shy Carter's contribution is the only remotely good thing about this song. Too bad he only makes up about ten seconds of it.

12. Some Type Of Love
Wanted to end on a high note, eh? Okay, not exactly high, just not as egregious as most of the other stuff this album has to offer. Puth seems sincere enough here, this gets a pass.

Final Verdict: You guys didn't lie, this album is weak. Not a single instrumental moment stands out positively, and the songs themselves are very limited. They're all about love, and range from boring to insane. Though, I guess it could've been worse. Then again, it can always get worse.

Rating: 3/10
Best songs: Up All Night, Some Type Of Love
Worst songs: My Gospel, Suffer, One Call Away, Then There's You, We Don't Talk Anymore

No comments:

Post a Comment