Friday, March 25, 2016

Album Review: Mind of Mine by Zayn


I have not been looking forward to this. Not that I think this'll be particularly bad, but I've honestly been unimpressed with Zayn's solo career so far. Even Pillowtalk has worn out its welcome, and I haven't even heard it that much. I honestly feel like he was better off in One Direction at this point; at least they started making some legitimately good stuff in 2013. But I digress. Let's see if the first solo album to stem from the biggest boy band of the decade does good things.

Also, I will not be listening to the deluxe edition tracks. If Zayn or his handlers or whoever thought they were important to the full product, they would have made it part of the main course. So my review ends at Track 14. If you really, really think I should review the last four tracks, let me know, maybe I'll do a follow-up on just them.

1. Mind Of Mindd (Intro)
I think he was trying to go for a sort of exotic house vibe here, but it's honestly too short to really justify its existence. Even as an album opener.

2. Pillowtalk
I've already said this on Twitter and maybe elsewhere, but if you want a much better version of this song, look up Miguel's Coffee. I kinda liked this at first, but it's sunk to being "meh" for me. It's tuneless and formless, Zayn's f-bombs feel forced and he's really not that sexy here.

3. It's You
I did not like this song whatsoever when I first listened to it. It has not risen in my favor. This is just slow and unsexy. Nothing to latch onto. It honestly makes me feel asleep. I mean feel sleepy.

4. Befour
The funk influences are appreciated, if a bit understated. Aside from the horn screeching in the chorus, this is actually serviceable. It's not spectacular by any means, but so far it's the frontrunner for this thing.

5. She
She...she screams in silence! Wait, that's Green Day. And a song called She I'd honestly like to listen to more here. The chorus is decent, and I do appreciate the use of guitars. Production is a bit cluttered though. Lyrically it's about his girlfriend I guess. Vague nothings sell, that is fact.

6. Drunk
Please pick up the pace a little bit. Thankfully Zayn doesn't actually sound drunk on this song, but that doesn't excuse this song just being underproduced. I feel this should hit a lot harder. If only so many instruments weren't relegated to the background.

7. Intermission: Flower
I guess I should be thankful that the instruments are starting to sound more authentic. But then I remember that this song is boring as tar. Yeah yeah, it's an interlude, I get it. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

8. Rear View
Finally picking up the pace a little bit here. The lighter production doesn't even bother me that much here, it works in the song's favor, oddly enough. It's decent, not spectacular, but it's a breathe of fresh air amid all the rough so far.

9. Wrong (ft. Kehlani)
Oh good, a song that feels like it's going at a snail's pace. And one in which the guest star completely one-ups the lead artist. I just can't get behind this one. There's not even that much to say.

10. Fool For You
You know, I'm always up for a good piano ballad. Too bad this song has some weird production choices make it less of a piano ballad. Seriously, why Zayn's voice need that many effects piled onto it? Kinda ruins the point if you ask me.

11. Borderz
I'm really not a fan of pausing in-between syllables when singing. Makes it sound like he's out of breath. And that's really all I could grab from this. This feels underwritten and like a chore to listen to.

12. Truth
The opening has some promise, it really does. But other than that, eh. It does work a little better than some of the other songs on the album, but it still doesn't do a lot for me. In other words, it's one of the best songs on the album.

13. Lucozade
I couldn't even tell what the title was supposed to be on Spotify thanks to that stupid capitalization gimmick. Anyway, this is another song where Zayn swears, and it just kinda happens, like all the other times. Confusing production, failing at being sexy, yeah this song pretty much sums up this album well.

14. TIO
Or Take It Off. Eeyup. Despite still not really being that sexy, this actually works a bit better than than some of the other songs. But only for that groove. The lyrics are really not something I needed in my life.

Final Verdict: This is a really underwhelming listen. I get what Zayn was going for with this record, but it doesn't really work. While I wouldn't call too many of the songs abysmal by any means, they've all got this weird production quality that I'm not a fan of. Zayn often times doesn't throw himself into the performances enough and he often comes off as bored, killing any mood he was trying to go for. And even the good songs aren't that good, they just have promise they can't quite deliver on. I can see Zayn doing better if he keeps up this style of music, but his first offering is bland and kinda disappointing.

Rating: 4/10
Best songs: Rear View, Befour, TIO
Worst songs: It's You, Lucozade, Borderz, Flower, Fool For You

No comments:

Post a Comment