Friday, March 11, 2016

Album Review: I like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it by The 1975


That's a mouthful of a title, isn't it? Also you think someone who grew up with rock would review more rock albums. Again, Anthrax, you can release For All Kings on Spotify whenever you want. In the meantime, I'll give these guys a shot. I kinda know them because they briefly touched the Hot 100 a few months ago. And I heard a few of their songs on Guitar Hero Live. Seems right up my alley. And it just hit Spotify today, so I can't think of a better time to tackle it. 



1. The 1975
By The 1975. On the album The 1975. Actually, their self-titled debut apparently also had an opening track titled this. Are they the same song? It's quite weird. But I guess The 1975 are the kind of band that love to mess with their audience.

2. Love Me
This is the song that was on the Hot 100 briefly. I loved it back then. I still do. Something about those retro guitar riff and the singer's smooth voice registers well for me. Actually now that I think about it, it kinda reminds me of David Bowie's Fame. I like that song.

3. UGH!
The guitars aren't as present in this song, unfortunately. They're still pretty present but it seems to take a backseat to some of the other production oddities. Nice and groovy otherwise, so I like.

4. A Change Of Heart
This kinda reminds me of Super Mario 64 music. Is that weird? Specifically of the water levels. And it does have a lot of retro charm that's hard to ignore. Slower-paced than the previous songs, but hey, it's good to slow things down.

5. She's American
This song is a beautiful wall of sound. And some beautiful plucky guitar riffs. Kind of a sucker for that kind of thing here. There's not a lot to say here, it's just a really solid song.

6. If I Believe You
Honestly, I'm not feeling this one so much. It's slowed down to what feels like a snail's pace, and not a lot interesting is happening. The bass and organ are too quiet. And it goes on for too long. This was Mark's favorite track? To each his own I guess.

7. Please Be Naked
I...don't get it. This doesn't feel that much like a song, it's more like a slow piano riff with some ambient noise. And I was hoping for something more exciting after the last track. I really hope the rest of this album isn't like this...

8. Lostmyhead
Guys, you're losing me, you really are. Were these lengthy interludes really worth including? Please, please, please get back on track. It takes about three minutes in for this to feel like an actual song, but even then it's still pretty boring.

9. The Ballad of Me and My Brain
Finally these tracks are starting to resemble actual songs again. But it's only alright. Maybe I'm just hoping for something more energetic after fifteen minutes of tedium. I guess the singer's showing some grit?

10. Somebody Else
It's cool-sounding I guess, but I'm really not in the mood for more slower paced songs. Sorry if you think I'm being unfairly harsh about these songs, I really am.

11. Loving Someone
When the drums are playing I actually like this. Without them this track just kinda drags. A lot. But overall if just feels more obsessed with vocal samples than substance.

12. I like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it
So, the album is named after a glorified interlude? Really? Appropriately enough I guess, this song does make me feel like I wanna sleep. It starts to resemble something a little more when the percussion kicks in for the last minute, at least.

13. The Sound
Oh thank god, it's an actual song. For the first time in several songs I'm actually on board with this. Upbeat, happy, well-produced. I really needed a song like this. There's still hope!

14. This Must Be My Dream
And they keep the momentum going. Nice. I do like it, even if it does kinda remind me of the old corny boybands. I don't know if anyone else gets that vibe but I do. Whatever, I still like it.

15. Paris
The boy band vibes continue, because this reminds me of Night Changes by One Direction. Weird. This one's merely alright. I'm honestly burned out over these slower, dreamy songs. 

16. Nana
Alright an acoustic guitar song. It's not interesting, it really isn't. We're almost done.

17. She Lays Down
And another acoustic song. You couldn't have put these at different parts of the album? Thank god we're done.

Final verdict: Guys, I'm really, really, really sorry. I wanted to like this. I wanted to love this. But I feel like they dropped the ball on this. On a technical level, yes, this album is fine, but I enjoyed very little of it. The first few tracks were really good, which set me up for disappointment when the rest was all either glorified interludes or slow borefests. I usually love this kind of music, but now I'm starting to see how this kind of music can be really pretentious. This is my biggest disappointment of 2016. Not just in music but in pretty much anything.

Rating: 4/10
Best Songs: Love Me, She's American, The Sound
Worst Songs: Please Be Naked, Lostmyhead, She Lays Down, If I Believe You, I like it when you sleep for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it

No comments:

Post a Comment