Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Album Review: The Life Of Pablo by Kanye West


Kanye, I don't even know what to make of you anymore. I don't think I ever did. But man, you have an entertaining Twitter feed, so at least you got that going for you. But this album, man. The release of this album itself was just hilarious to watch unfold. I haven't heard a single Kanye West album in full before, so this is almost like going in blind to what to expect from him. Here goes. By the way, this isn't the redone version, at least I don't think, so keep that in mind.

1. Ultralight Beam (ft. Chance the Rapper & Kirk Franklin)
This song is freaking weird. A combination of gospel and some warbling bass and overly-punctual drums. Honestly I don't know if I like this. I do know I like Chance's verse though.

2. Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1 (ft. Kid Cudi)
What's up with that synth? And with Future in the beginning? The surreal instrumentation and use of autotune kinda kills this for me. I know Heartless was a thing, but that was much more focused than this.

3. Pt. 2 (ft. Desiigner)
I kinda wish I hadn't previously heard Panda. Then this wouldn't sound as weird. I will say, Kanye's verse is much better than Desiigner's. If only he took more charge than the vocal cues. Also it kinda switches gears abruptly at the end. Kanye's just doing whatever the hell he wants with this, isn't he?

4. Famous (ft. Rihanna)
Finally we're getting more focus on what these songs are supposed to be. The beat's agreeable, Kanye's bars are serviceable. Good recovery there. The last third is a bit weird, but eh, it's forgivable.

5. Feedback
Well, this beat is unconventional. It's alright, seems like something Kanye would use in the past at least, just a little underdeveloped. Good rapping too. But then Oprah impersonations? I don't get it.

6. Low Lights
This isn't so much a song as it is a woman's ramblings set to some random piano chords and synth notes. I can at least appreciate the thing's intention even if I think this should've been cut from the album.

7. Highlights (ft. Young Thug)
Oh goodie, Young Thug. And excessive autotune. This one takes too long to actually get started. Some corny lines too. This one's frustrating because there are bits of a good song trying to get out.

8. Freestyle 4 (ft. Desiigner)
This probably isn't the song to proclaim that you're a rap god, Kanye. Perverted Kanye isn't best to try to one-up Eminem. Also Desiigner's contribution here makes the Future parallels even easier to make.

9. I Love Kanye
This is literally not a song. Or if it is it's acapella. More of Kanye going meta. Not gonna lie, I kinda love this if only for the novelty.

10. Waves (ft. Chris Brown)
Kanye you don't have to collaborate with Chris Brown, you really don't. Actually that's not fair, his chorus is actually pretty good. And I dig the beat too. This gets a pass from me. Cool stuff.

11. FML (ft. The Weeknd)
Another song that takes forever to get started, joy. The Weeknd on this song makes too much sense given the beat and themes. But really, this continues the theme of Kanye just doing stuff for no apparent reason.

12. Real Friends (ft. Ty Dolla $ign)
Holy crap a song that actually sounds cohesive. It's also strong lyrically, with Kanye dealing with his personal drama. Almost makes all the previous crap worth it. Almost.

13. Wolves (ft. Frank Ocean & Caroline Shaw)
I heard Kanye was gonna fix this track especially. And I can kinda see why, it kinda could use some work. It's really messy. Kinda like the rest of this album.

14. Siiiiiiiiilver Surffffeeeeer Intermission
Why did he put a phone conversation on the album? What is the point of this? Is it here because this album was originally named Waves?

15. 30 Hours
I like it when the beats on this thing are more focused. That's when this album shines much better. Though it could've used more full verses instead of Kanye just rambling and dropping in and out randomly. Also too long. And did he seriously leave in someone unexpectedly calling him? WHY?

16. No More Parties in LA (ft. Kendrick Lamar)
You know when Kendrick's on the mic, some fire 'bout to be spit! Yeah, this has gotta be the best feature on the album. And again, it's focused and freaking good. For the most part...

17. Facts (Charlie Heat Version)
Kanye pulls off a gansta rap beat kinda well. It also feels like a parody to Drake and Future's Jumpman. Maybe it's just a better version.

18. Fade (ft. Post Malone & Ty Dolla $ign)
When the bass gets going it's pretty groove-worthy. It also gets better material out of Post Malone than White Iverson which is a plus. It does derail into a mess of vocal samples, then gets back on track. Ty Dolla $ign stands out the most vocally.

Final Verdict: This album is a mess. I think even people who really like this album have to give me that. The beatwork and themes are all over the place, and it's hard to enjoy some of these tracks because it feels like Kanye didn't know what he was doing. It feels more like a collection of guest stars and samples than a coherent product. There are some standout tracks, which do make this a bit more worth listening to, but honestly, I still feel kinda empty.

Rating: 5/10
Best songs: No More Parties In LA, Famous, I Love Kanye, Real Friends, Waves
Worst songs: Freestyle 4, Highlights, Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1, Wolves, Silver Surfer Intermission

No comments:

Post a Comment