Thursday, March 3, 2016

Album Review: Under the Covers by Ninja Sex Party


I'm kind of a big fan of Game Grumps. And also these guys. That might make me a little biased going into this, but I don't care. March is looking like a dry month outside of a surprise Kendrick Lamar release (which I probably won't be listening to). So, whatever. I don't always have to review artists who are signed to a major record label after all. Make me proud, Danny. And yes, this is a cover album, so I'll only be judging these based on the quality of these versions. And I won't be judging these songs lyrically because that would be dumb.

1. Take On Me (orig. by A-ha)
Danny's voice was practically meant to sing this song. I feel like the instrumentation is a little bit better in the original, but Brian and Tupper Ware Remix Party still do it lots of justice. The harmonies are gorgeous, and those high notes still sound great.

2. Everybody Wants To Rule The World (orig. by Tears for Fears)
Great harmonizing here too. Really plays to everyone's strengths here. And here, the instrumentation's actually on par with that of the original, just updated.

3. Subdivisions (orig. by Rush)
Danny's a surprisingly good Geddy Lee. The bassist and drummer are really killing it here too. Takes me back to 2012 when I went to Rush live. One of the best nights of my life.

4. Your Love (orig. by The Outfield)
Oh so that's what this song is called. This version's in a different key from the original, which is understandable because that guy was practically shredding his voice. And this is just wonderful. Were those synth tones in the original? They add a nice touch I think.

5. Misunderstanding (orig. by Genesis)
Honestly, I never really liked Genesis. Or this song. But swap out Phil Collins for Danny Sexbang, and you have a winning move. Even the instruments feel more lively.

6. Rock with You (orig. by Michael Jackson)
I don't think I know this song. But hell, bring the funk! Part of me kinda expects Danny to start singing about his penis and calling Brian a loser, as is his usual MO. But hey, he's got enough charisma to pull off a serious love song.

7. Madrigal (orig. by Rush)
I don't think I know this one either, even though it's by Rush. This is a bit slower compared to past songs. Still just as expertly performed by everyone involved.

8. The Burning Down (orig. by King's X)
I've never even heard of King's X before. This is beautiful. Danny's harmonies are spot on once again, and it's well produced. What more can I say?

9. Jump (orig. by Van Halen)
Now who doesn't know this one? The instrumentations not quite on par with the original, unfortunately, but they make up for it with Danny's new harmonies, and nailing those guitar and synth solos.

10. We Close Our Eyes (orig. by Oingo Boingo)
More funk! Woo! Not a lot to say about this one, it just sounds great. Oh, and also that awesome bass solo. I'm kind of a sucker for those.

11. The Last Unicorn (orig. by America)
Danny's especially passionate about this song, given it's tied to his favorite movie of all time. And it shows. He puts a lot of emotion into this performance in particular. Plus it's paired with those beautiful synths.

12. Wish You Were Here (orig. by Pink Floyd)
And now for acoustic guitar to end off this album. And possibly one of the best songs ever written. And that reputation doesn't change with this version. Danny may not sound like Roger Waters, but he makes it work all the same.

Final Verdict: I love this. Danny and Brian were able to step away from their comedic, hyper-sexual roots and bring justice to some of the best rock songs of the 80s, and some from the 70s. Every song feels faithfully recreated, and Danny owns his performances. Of course the rest of the musicians shine brightly too. They're all songs that work for these guys. This exceeded my expectations.

Rating: 10/10
Best songs: Wish You Were Here, Everybody Wants To Rule The World, Subdivisions, The Last Unicorn, Rock with You
Worst song: Jump

No comments:

Post a Comment