Monday, June 6, 2016

Album Review: Future Present Past (EP) by The Strokes


Been a little while since I did an album review. So, The Strokes. I like Reptilia and Last Nite. That's about all I know from them so I don't really have much of a stake in this. Four songs, negative buzz mostly from Fanthony Antano. But I'll keep an open mind. I think I heard one of the songs on the radio a little while ago but I forgot how it goes. Ah well.

1. Drag Queen
The synths and production feel pretty cheap on this song. Julian Casablancas' voice on this isn't the greatest either. It doesn't match the instrumentation that well. Also the guitar tones on that solo...no. And what the hell are those vocals during that drum roll?

2. OBLIVIUS
Production still feels cheap, but the rhythms here are a little better. I'll at least concede that. Part of it sounds like Weezer, just fuzzy. I feel like this could've been better if it was produced better and Casablancas sounded more focused.

3. Threat of Joy
Again, good grooves, just not produced well. There's something here, it just doesn't sound good. Could've been a serviceable lightweight, somewhat tropical track if the guitars didn't sound like they were using thick strings.

4. OBLIVIUS (Moretti Remix)
This version swaps out the guitars for what sounds like a xylophone. It doesn't really help the song, honestly. Also I think a little reverb was added to Julian's voice. Also not the greatest of decisions.

Final Verdict: I'm left scratching my head with this. I wouldn't say it's awful or irredeemable, because there are good instrumental ideas. They just aren't done well. It's overproduced, Julian Casablancas' voice just kinda bleeds all over the mix throughout. I will say I don't actively dislike any song presented on this EP, but that's only because the whole time I didn't feel any emotion. This feels like missed potential from a band I think can do better.

Rating: 5/10
Best song: OBLIVIUS
Worst song: Drag Queen

No comments:

Post a Comment