Thursday, June 23, 2016

Album Review: East River by Detours Through Manhattan


So, I was planning on listening through the new Nick Jonas album today, but I've got a lot to catch up with that's not music related. But, Detours Through Manhattan is an album by my friend Ethan, aka TheLPClub, so I wanna give it a listen and support him. This album also has some help from Keenan Edwards, another friend of mine and whose mixtape I reviewed earlier this year. If you wanna give this album a listen, here's a link. So, here we go.

1. The Real Honest Brutal Goodbye (Intro)
Pretty low-fi, atmospheric sound. I kinda like that most of the sound echoes, kind of a nice touch. Works well as an opening track.

2. Glory Syndrome
This track gives a bit of a jungle vibe. Instrumentation is very creative, though the vocals are a bit muffled. Of course since I use my laptop's internal mic all the time, that's understandable. Still, it sounds good.

3. Subway Car (interlude)
Appropriate title. The spoken bit at the beginning does kinda sound like it was recorded at a subway. Some of the echoey vocals are a bit strange. But I've definitely heard worse interludes.

4. East River
Here we get some cleaner production, which is appreciated. Got some funky bass, which is always a good way to win me over. So far this also has the strongest lyrical content, being about a girl that's been giving Ethan grief. And it's definitely relatable for that. Also, guitar solo.

5. 1929
Twinkling pianos and some heavy bass. This is an oddly soothing song, even though it's about depression. But oddly enough, I feel like it was the right fit. Takes a bit of a weird turn at the end, though.

6. Strawberry
Oh, so the ending of 1929 was basically the intro to this. This song gives off some Beatles vibes, if that makes any sense. Like, the Magical Mystery Tour era. In that it sounds happy-go-lucky. Even though the lyrics are far from it. They seem to be about a breakup.

7. 1929 (reprise)
Basically a shorter, instrumental version of 1929. It's okay, but it's messier. I prefer the version with lyrics.

8. 11:59 PM
Got what sounds like a music box as the main melody. It actually sounds nice against the rougher bass. Also, keeping up with expectations. I can relate to that.

9. NY Morning (ft. GETTINGIN)
This one's a hip hop track. GETTINGIN has a pretty good flow. Is he someone I know? Though it introduces some echoey guitars about midway. Honestly, that makes this song harder to get into. Sorry. Good intro though.

10. Glory Descend
I'd consider this a bit of a reprise of Glory Syndrome, since it reuses some of the lyrics. I do like the xylophones and synths. Good to way to book-end this album.

Final verdict: I did like this. Instrumentally there's a lot going on in these tracks, and they hit more often than they miss. The lyrics and themes are well-written, giving Ethan an outlet for his angst and struggles. However, the production is kinda messy throughout, especially the vocals. Though this can be forgiven knowing Ethan's limitations. If you can get past that, you'll find a lot to like about this album. But there is some room for improvement.

Rating: 7/10
Best songs: East River, 1929
Worst songs: NY Morning, Subway Car

No comments:

Post a Comment