Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Retro Album Review: Nimrod by Green Day


Goddamn I am really bad at keeping promises. I should've been finished with going through Green Day's discography at this point but here I am. Still have yet to do the fifth album out of twelve. Bleh. Anyway, can Nimrod live up to the highs set by Dookie and Insomniac? Let's find out.

1. Nice Guys Finish Last

This is a song I'm already very familiar with thanks to my days of playing Rock Band. It's a great album opener. The guitars and drums are fast, and the tone is artfully obnoxious. Meaning you're supposed to feel insulted. At least I'm pretty sure. Catchy and awesome.

2. Hitchin' A Ride

Also very familiar with this one. This is one of my favorite Green Day songs, mostly because it feels so unlike other Green Day songs. The verses are calm and condescending, paired with a marching drum beat. Then it explodes in the chorus and awesome-as-hell solo. What more could you want?

3. The Grouch

Billie Joel takes on the role of an old man who's angry at the world. This kinda feels like a joke song, right down to the instrumental being kinda basic. I do like it, but it is a bit of a step down from the previous songs. Bllie's a little incomprehensible here, that doesn't help.

4. Redundant

So this was a single. Slower than the other songs but that's alright. Lyrics are supposedly about a relationship which is...kinda sad. This relationship sounds empty and sad. Which is the point, but still. Guess it works.

5. Scattered

Now we're talking. Fast guitars and sweet basslines. The vocal melody on the verses kinda reminds me of Sister Golden Hair, which is a plus. I like that song. I also like the bit of this song where only bass and drums play for half a verse. And the lyrics are way more hopeful than the last track. That made me feel better.

6. All The Time

Getting a surf rock vibe from this song. I do like it when they go for that sound. Kinda short though, like a lot of early Green Day.

7. Worry Rock

Not much to say about this song. It's laid back but still bitter. Kinda like Pulling Teeth. There's an acapella moment, which I do appreciate.

8. Platypus (I Hate You)

One of the angriest songs I think I've ever heard. It goes at a blisteringly fast pace, with lyrics where Billie Joel is viciously berating someone. Seriously, what an asshole. But man I love it. I think that bridge that's basically a list of insults sums it up. Beautiful.

9. Uptight

Another song I'm already pretty familiar with. Slower-paced, but still gritty and kickass. Basically an anthem of alcoholism and depression. Hating yourself never sounded this awesome.

10. Last Ride In

And in contrast, we have an instrumental with a slow, almost jungle-like atmosphere. I like it. Kind of a way to break from the past two heavy-handed tracks. This is pretty much chill-out music.

11. Jinx

And after that, right back into the fast stuff. Bitterness about bad luck. I know I would. I imagine that Milo from Milo Murphy's Law would sing this song if he wasn't so upbeat. Seriously, watch that show if you haven't because I'm worried it'll get canceled.

12. Haushinka

Ooh, wasn't expecting these tracks to feed into one another. This one being about a weird girl that disappeared from Billie Joel's life. The instruments get more intense from the last song for an epic back-to-back listen.

13. Walking Alone

Going bluesy for this one. Complete with harmonica. I feel like this would've fit comfortably with the radio stations I would hear as a kid. Adult alternative stuff. But incredibly well-done and catchy. I'll take it.

14. Reject

Good old fashioned Green Day shredding. I especially love that one bass lick. One of the heaviest songs on the album so far.

15. Take Back

And the relentlessly fast songs with brutal lyrics continue. This one's barely a minute, and includes some very demonic-sounding vocals on the hook. Jesus... This is pretty awesome.

16. King For A Day

BRING ON THE MARIACHI!!!!!!!!!!! I found that humorous. Also this is about a crossdresser. No weird subject is safe from this man's grasp, is it? Heh. Pretty awesome.

17. Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)

The song everybody knows from this album. And it still holds up. An acoustic guitar ballad with strings about what else, bitterness. It's only the central theme of the entire album. And thanks to its distinctly un-punk sound, it definitely stands out. In a good way. Great on its own or with the perspective of the rest of the album.

18. Prosthetic Head

I feel like the album should've ended with the last song. Still, this is pretty good. More adult alternative feeling, but with teeth. Dig it.

Final Verdict: Yet another classic. The problem I've had with some of Green Day's old material is that it can sound very samey and not very distinct if you're not very familiar with individual songs. Nimrod doesn't have this problem as much, since it takes more risks and unique sounds. The lyrics form a clear arc of bitterness that's definitely in line with Green Day's usual MO. And overall, I do not have many complaints. It's a solidly put together record. Though Good Riddance really should've been the final track.

Rating: Strong 8/10
Best songs: Hitchin' a Ride, Platypus (I Hate You), Take Back, Uptight, Jinx/Haushinka
Worst song: Redundant

No comments:

Post a Comment