Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Billboard Hot 100 Highlights December 10th, 2016


It figures that a busy day for me is the day we get over a dozen new entries on the Hot 100. Bleh. Stagnant Top 10, the rest, anyone's game. HIGHLIGHTS TIME!

Top 20

1. Black Beatles by Rae Sremmurd ft. Gucci Mane (1) (Biggest Airplay Gainer)
2. Closer by The Chainsmokers ft. Halsey (2)
3. Starboy by The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk (3)
4. 24K Magic by Bruno Mars (6) (Biggest Digital Sales Gainer)
5. Juju On That Beat (TZ Anthem) by Zay Hilfigerrr & Zayion McCall (8) (Biggest Streaming Gainer)
6. Side To Side by Ariana Grande ft. Nicki Minaj (4)
7. Heathens by twenty one pilots (5)
8. Let Me Love You by DJ Snake ft. Justin Bieber (7)
9. Broccoli by D.R.A.M. ft. Lil Yachty (9)
10. Don't Wanna Know by Maroon 5 ft. Kendrick Lamar (10)
11. Fake Love by Drake (14)
12. Caroline by Aminé (12)
13. Starving by Haliee Steinfeld & Grey ft. Zedd (15)
14. i hate u i love u by gnash ft. Olivia O'Brien (11)
15. Scars To Your Beautiful by Alessia Cara (17)
16. Cold Water by Major Lazer ft. Justin Bieber & MØ (13)
17. Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes (16)
18. The Greatest by Sia ft. Kendrick Lamar (20)
19. Can't Stop The Feeling! by Justin Timberlake (18)
20. Unsteady by X Ambassadors (21)

Fell Off Top 20

21. Cheap Thrills by Sia ft. Sean Paul (19)

Big Gains (10+)

28. Bad Things by Machine Gun Kelly x Camila Cabello (46)
29. This Town by Niall Horan (61)
34. Love On The Brain by Rihanna (50)
35. Mercy by Shawn Mendes (47)
54. Bad And Boujee by Migos ft. Lil Uzi Vert (76)
63. HandClap by Fitz And The Tantrums (78)
80. Water Under The Bridge by Adele (94)

Moderate Gains (5 - 9)

27. Do You Mind by DJ Khaled ft. Nicki Minaj, Chris Brown, August Alsina, Jeremih, Future, & Rick Ross (34)
51. Bounce Back by Big Sean (51)
52. You Was Right by Lil Uzi Vert (57)
57. Wanna Be That Song by Brett Eldredge (64)
59. Fresh Eyes by Andy Grammer (67)
68. Say You Won't Let Go by James Arthur (75)
81. Selfish by PnB Rock (87)
92. A Guy With A Girl by Blake Shelton (97)

Big Losses (10+)

41. Gold by Kiiara (27)
64. A Little More Summertime by Jason Aldean (54)
100. 80s Mercedes by Maren Morris (90)

Moderate Losses (5 - 9)

38. Needed Me by Rihanna (32)
40. Used To This by Future ft. Drake (31)
42. Sucker For Pain by Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa & Imagine Dragons w/Logic, Ty Dolla $ign & X Ambassadors (37)
45. Tiimmy Turner by Desiigner (38)
46. LUV by Tory Lanez (40)
50. Sneakin' by Drake ft. 21 Savage (44)
58. Middle Of A Memory by Cole Swindell (52)
65. Hallelujah by Pentatonix (56)
67. Setting The World On Fire by Kenny Chesney ft. Pink (58)
71. Fade by Kanye West ft. Ty Dolla $ign & Post Malone (66)
78. Move by Luke Bryan (73)

Dropouts

  • Send My Love (To Your New Lover) by Adele (39, 27 weeks)
  • No Problem by Chance The Rapper ft. Lil Wayne & 2 Chainz (43, 26 weeks)
  • Too Good by Drake ft. Rihanna (48, 29 weeks)
  • We Don't Talk Anymore by Charlie Puth ft. Selena Gomez (49, 24 weeks)
  • Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen (59, 1 week)
  • Me And Your Mama by Childish Gambino (69, 1 week)
  • We The People... by A Tribe Called Quest (77, 1 week)
  • Setting Fires by The Chainsmokers ft. XYLØ (86, 2 weeks)
  • It Don't Hurt Like It Used To by Billy Currington (91, 17 weeks)
  • Shout Out To My Ex by Little Mix (95, 3 weeks)
  • Wishing by DJ Drama ft. Chris Brown, Skeme & Lyquin (98, 14 weeks)
  • Call On Me by Starley (99, 1 week)
  • Goosebumps by Travis Scott ft. Kendrick Lamar (100, 7 weeks)


Returning Entries

77. Chantaje by Shakira ft. Maluma
94. Kill A Word by Eric Church ft. Rhiannon Giddens

New Entries

39. Party Monster by The Weeknd
48. I Feel It Coming by The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk
53. Love On The Weekend by John Mayer
73. That's My Girl by Fifth Harmony
75. Redbone by Childish Gambino
79. That's What I Like by Bruno Mars
86. Slumber Party by Britney Spears ft. Tinashe
91. Play That Song by Train
97. Infinite by Eminem
98. Versace On The Floor by Bruno Mars
99. Parachute by Chris Stapleton

New and Returning Entries Ranked

1. Party Monster

Yes I have listened to Starboy in full. I'll talk about it soon. Anyway, this is just gorgeous. In a dark, twisted way. For some reason it feels like something a boyband would make, if they were all super villains. It's all really subtle and chilling. Something T** H**ls failed to be. Definitely glad this of all songs from Starboy is getting traction because it deserves it. Still no False Alarm though...

2. Infinite

Okay, so apparently this is a remix of a song from 1996. It's weird going to the old Eminem. He doesn't really sound angry as he is just putting his all into wordplay. His voice itself is also very different. I'm not sure how the original sounded, but I really dig they did for the remix. It's kinda low-key but also opulent. Kinda like Drake's Weston Road Flows. I'll take it over Phenomenal from last year, that's for sure.

3. Kill A Word

It's back. And my opinion on it still stands. Powerful lyrics, great instrumentation and vocal performance. I listened to a live version this time around. Still great.

4. Parachute

It's good to see Chris Stapleton back. He's even got some grit in his voice this time around that reminds me of some old classic rockers like Eric Clapton. In fact a lot of this song sounds like Clapton. Great guitars and banjos. I'm on board with this. Probably the best I've heard from Chris thus far.

5. I Feel It Coming

I actually like this a fair bit more than the album's title track, due to feeling more like Daft Punk. That funk is sexy as hell. Abel matches it well, and it's all a very enjoyable closing track for the album. Especially considering what came before it. But that's for later.

6. Versace On The Floor

Well. Wasn't expecting a sex ballad with a title like that. Having the chorus line be about the clothes they're wearing strikes me as kinda weird, but eh. I guess I can kinda see it. Bruno sounds great. Real sensual. Got a nice synth solo. It's all very pleasant. I'll take it.

7. Redbone

I'm starting to think this next Childish Gambino album isn't gonna be rap at all. Good thing I usually like psychedelia like this. This is more downtempo and less bombastic than Me And Your Mama, but it's still good in its own rights. Not something I think will stick with me, but neat. Nice funk vibe. Don't think this sort of music will do that much on the Hot 100, though.

8. That's What I Like

This isn't doing it for me as much as Bruno's other funk endeavors. It's blatant flexing like with 24K Magic, but it doesn't quite feel powerful enough to fully back that up. Still, it does have a bit of a smooth edge. Maybe the trap percussion wasn't the best idea though. Eh. Still decent. I'll get to this album soon, I promise.

9. Chantaje

This still feels uncomfortable to hear, even though I don't understand the lyrics. And, well, some of the imagery in the music video doesn't help. Pitch shifted vocals are grating still. I think I like this even less than less time.

10. That's My Girl

I wasn't kind to this song (or album) when I first heard it. I still don't like this song. Sorry. I get why people like it, but for me, it's too obnoxious and overproduced to really enjoy it. Even if the lyrics aren't bad. Also, Camila, no.

11. Love On The Weekend

I thought we were done with John Mayer by now. We have Ed Sheeran now. This is about as stale and nothing as I was expecting. I have no insights, just zzzz.

12. Play That Song

Oh, goodie. More Train. This doesn't have the lyrical problems of Train's other recent hits, but the premise is still kinda barebones and done to death. Asking a DJ to play a song. And what can you offer that others can't? Ear grating vocals and a sickeningly corny attitude. Joy. Not Train's worst, but I can see this wearing down my patience in record time.

13. Slumber Party

This is juvenile and stupid. It's supposed to be sensual, but you're comparing hot sex to something grade/middle school girls do? Yeah, not my thing. It's about as overproduced as you would expect a Britney Spears song to be. It wants to be subtle, but just isn't. It's irritating. Tinashe sounds way better than Britney but she only gets about 10 seconds alone, so that's a waste. You know you guys could've gotten All My Friends to chart instead, right? But that ship's long sailed unfortunately. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment