Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Billboard Hot 100 Highlights August 12th, 2017


Late edition of Highlights! Because the charts were late due to errors. Annoying but glad it got updated sooner rather than later. Looks like we've got some returning Linkin Park song (RIP Chester), as well as a Meek Mill album bomb. Highlights.

Top 20

1. Despacito by Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee ft. Justin Bieber (1)
2. Wild Thoughts by DJ Khaled ft. Rihanna & Bryson Tiller (2)
3. That's What I Like by Bruno Mars (3)
4. I'm The One by DJ Khaled ft. Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance The Rapper & Lil Wayne (4)
5. Believer by Imagine Dragons (7)
6. Unforgettable by French Montana ft. Swae Lee (5)
7. Shape Of You by Ed Sheeran (6)
8. There's Nothing Holding Me Back by Shawn Mendes (8)
9. Attention by Charlie Puth (10)
10. Body Like A Back Road by Sam Hunt (9)
11. Congratulations by Post Malone ft. Quavo (12)
12. Humble. by Kendrick Lamar (11)
13. Redbone by Childish Gambino (13)
14. Stay by Zedd & Alessia Cara (14)
15. Something Just Like This by The Chainsmokers & Coldplay (15)
16. Strip That Down by Liam Payne ft. Quavo (25)
17. XO TOUR Llif3 by Lil Uzi Vert (16)
18. Slow Hands by Niall Horan (19)
19. Now Or Never by Halsey (17)
20. Mask Off by Future (18)

Fell Off Top 20

24. Say You Won't Let Go by James Arthur (20)

Big Gains (10+)

21. Bank Account by 21 Savage (34)
28. Bodak Yellow by Cardi B (49)
30. Mi Gente by J Balvin & Willy William (42)
51. Whatever You Need by Meek Mill ft. Chris Brown & Ty Dolla $ign (89)
85. Glorious by Macklemore ft. Skylar Grey (99)

Moderate Gains (5 - 9)

16. Strip That Down by Liam Payne ft. Quavo (25)
32. Rake It Up by Yo Gotti ft. Nicki Minaj (41)
46. Love Galore by SZA ft. Travis Scott (53)
55. Feel It Still by Portugal. The Man (63)
73. Heartache On The Dance Floor by Jon Pardi (81)
74. Crew by GoldLink ft. Brent Faiyaz & Shy Glizzy (82)
76. Somebody Else Will by Justin Moore (84)
82. Young Dumb & Broke by Khalid (91)

Big Losses (10+)

41. Fetish by Selena Gomez ft. Gucci Mane (27)
42. Malibu by Miley Cyrus (31)
52. My Girl by Dylan Scott (39)
54. Bad Liar by Selena Gomez (30)
69. Thunder by Imagine Dragons (59)
72. Most Girls by Hailee Steinfeld (58)
84. First Day Out by Tee Grizzley (69)
87. Yours If You Want It by Rascal Flatts (71)
90. Down by Fifth Harmony ft. Gucci Mane (78)
95. The Story of O.J. by Jay-Z (72)
98. Signs by Drake (88)
100. Reminder by The Weeknd (90)

Moderate Losses (5 - 9)

35. Issues by Julia Michaels (28)
43. Drowning by A Boogie Wit da Hoodie ft. Kodak Black (38)
44. In Case You Didn't Know by Brett Young (37)
50. Rolex by Ayo & Teo (43)
53. Versace On The Floor by Bruno Mars (47)
56. Felices Los 4 by Maluma (48)
49. DNA. by Kendrick Lamar (51)
60. Drinkin' Problem by Midland (54)
62. It's A Vibe by 2 Chainz ft. Ty Dolla $ign, Trey Songz & Jhene Aiko (56)
65. Butterfly Effect by Travis Scott (60)
80. Passionfruit by Drake (74)
86. Swalla by Jason Derulo ft. Nicki Minaj & Ty Dolla $ign (79)
88. 4 AM by 2 Chainz ft. Travis Scott (83)
89. God, Your Mama, And Me by Florida Georgia Line ft. Backstreet Boys (80)

Dropouts

  • Bad And Boujee by Migos ft. Lil Uzi Vert (45, 1, 36 weeks)
  • iSpy by KYLE ft. Lil Yachty (46, 4, 30 weeks)
  • 24K Magic by Bruno Mars (50, 4, 41 weeks)
  • 4:44 by Jay-Z (61, 35, 2 weeks)
  • Crying In The Club by Camila Cabello (73, 47, 9 weeks)
  • Every Time I Hear That Song by Blake Shelton (85, 56, 11 weeks)
  • The Cure by Lady Gaga (87, 39, 14 weeks)
  • Weak by AJR (93, 73, 11 weeks)
  • A Lie by French Montana ft. The Weeknd & Max B (75, 75, 1 week)
  • Jerika by Jake Paul & Erika Costell ft. Uncle Kade (86, 86, 1 week)
  • Woman by Kesha ft. The Dap-Kings Horns (96, 96, 1 week)
  • Rollin by Calvin Harris ft. Khalid & Future (97, 62, 4 weeks)
  • Element. by Kendrick Lamar (98, 16, 11 weeks)
  • No Complaints by Metro Boomin ft. Offset & Drake (100, 71, 3 weeks)

Returning Entries

34. Numb by Linkin Park
37. In The End by Linkin Park
45. Heavy by Linkin Park ft. Kiiara
47. The Fighter by Keith Urban ft. Carrie Underwood

New Entries

40. Back To You by Louis Tomlinson ft. Bebe Rexha & Digital Farm Animals
61. What's My Name by China Anne McClain
77. Issues by Meek Mill
79. Wins & Losses by Meek Mill
81. It's Goin' Down by Descendants 2 Cast
83. 1942 Flows by Meek Mill
91. Imitadora by Romeo Santos
96. We Ball by Meek Mill ft. Young Thug
97. F**k That Check Up by Meek Mill ft. Lil Uzi Vert
99. Heavy Heart by Meek Mill

New and Returning Entries Ranked

1. In The End

Linkin Park's highest charting song, and one of their best. Mike's verses are a case where every single line is iconic. Well constructed angst and an incredibly sticky piano riff. I hear this on the radio all the time, and it still holds up as a shining example of early 2000s nu metal. Happy to see so many people still remember and love this too.

2. Numb

Another staple of Linkin Park's discography. While it doesn't hit me as hard as In The End does, it still hits all the notes when it comes to pressure and depression. Strong guitars and performances. A classic. Not surprised this was among the returning Linkin Park songs.

3. Wins And Losses

The title track from Meek Mill's album, and I like this quite a bit. For once it seems like Meek got some production that fits his voice pretty well. It's bombastic with hints of synths and it's a force to be reckoned with. Yeah, this is a Meek Mill I can get down with.

4. Heavy

I was hoping this would've grown on me given the unfortunate circumstances. And, well, I think it has. Now that I know what I know about Chester and his battle with depression, his writing in general has tended to hit me like a ton of bricks, and this is no exception. I know like it might seem like I'm being nice and changing my opinion because Chester died, but that unfortunate event really does put things into perspective. I don't mind this now. I didn't hate it that much to begin with. Still not one of their best, but still. Rest in peace, sir...sniff..

5. Heavy Heart

This was better than I was expecting! The beat's pretty ethereal and pretty, and the whole thing has a conscious feel to it, focusing on Meek's come-up. And his yelling is actually appropriate. Wasn't looking forward to the Meek Mill songs, but this ain't bad.

6. Issues

Definitely the better of the songs with the name Issues currently charting. I mean, there's more autotune than I would like and it has that weird airhorn sound that I'm not too fond of, but it's got a decent beat otherwise and Meek rides it alright. Not bad, if a little derivative.

7. The Fighter

Okay, so this is back? I know it was doing pretty well on the country charts, but this is kinda cheating the 20 week rule. Could actually make year end now. I still don't really mind this, despite its synthetic sound and pretty far from country. It's catchy enough.

8. 1942 Flows

Like with other Meek Mill songs, I can't help but feel the beat doesn't really work with Meek Mill's voice. There's so much unused space. Most of what we get is these light pianos that the drums overpower. Also apparently someone uploaded this song claiming it was a Drake diss? I don't see that other than the start of his first verse being similar to Started From The Bottom. It's mostly about him rising in the rap game. I guess it's okay. Not spectacular, but I actually don't mind this.

9. F**k That Check Up

Restrained bombast. An oxymoron if there ever was one. This is just annoying. Though I guess as far as Meek Mill & Lil Uzi Vert collabs go, it's the lesser of two evils. Also it sounds like he's saying "checker". What did that checker ever do to you, Meek? Think of the board game pieces!

10. Imitadora

"Imitator." I didn't like this guy the last time I listened to him, and this did not win his case. It's pretty standard Latin stuff for the main reason but Romeo Stantos does not have a good voice. Oh and that warbling synth doesn't help. It's out of place and sounds bad. Though this isn't as bad as I was expected. Just a song with some questionable choices.

11. We Ball

Oh wow, this sounds so awkward. The melody is so jumpy and the production feels kinda unfinished. Also, Meek, imitating Young Thug doesn't really look good on you. You already have him on the song, after all. And he's the best part of this song. Not saying much.

12. Back to You

I mentioned this song in my Strip That Down review. And I did see a few people were surprised I didn't like this. Well, the main reason I don't like this is because of how tense and sour it is. That beeping synth is more annoying than it is enticing. The trap percussion is messy. Louis and Bebe Rexha don't have great chemistry. Listening to this just makes me feel upset. I might even consider this my least favorite of the songs One Direction's solo careers have spawned. But at least it's better than...

13. What's My Name

Someone thought this might be a Voice cover. I wish. Descendants 2 because of course. You know, there should be a rule against making the villain song of your musical into a trap diva song. This is just misguided, especially with the PIRATE RAP VERSE. I wish I was kidding. Also I haven't seen the movie so I don't know why your name is relevant to this song. Is it a plot point? Because otherwise that is weak as a villain boast. Especially when I DON'T KNOW YOUR CHARACTER'S NAME.

14. It's Goin' Down

Okay, the store I work at sells a lot of clothing inspired by Descendants 2. And this is embarrassing. Many of the people singing this have sloppy flows, and this mixture of rap elements with pirate clichés is laughable. Yep, it's a Disney TV movie song. Also the lyrics are conversation between the heroes and the villains of the movie, so if you haven't seen the movie this makes no sense. It's not threatening, it's just lame. Also the costumes look bad.

2 comments:

  1. One thing that is definitely worth noting is that this will be Closer's final week. Next week, it will depart.

    Meanwhile, farewell, 24K Magic. You will be missed. Good riddance to Bad and Boujee, though. You will not be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I'm in the minority of people who think that Numb is actually LP's best song.

    ReplyDelete