Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Billboard Hot 100 Highlights April 23rd, 2016


Eight weeks. That is how long Work has been at the top. That is utterly baffling to me. I don't even hate the song, but it's really not good enough to warrant that much time at the top. Especially with 7 Years being infinitely better. Ai yai yai... Also Panda's in the Top 10. And we get our first album bomb of the year thanks to Kanye releasing The Life of Pablo outside of Tidal. Lovely. HIGHLIGHTS TIME!

Top 10

1. Work by Rihanna ft. Drake (1)
2. 7 Years by Lukas Graham (2)
3. No by Meghan Trainor (3)
4. Pillowtalk by Zayn (4)
5. Panda by Desiigner (14)
6. Love Yourself by Justin Bieber (5)
7. My House by Flo Rida (6)
8. I Took A Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner (9)
9. Work From Home by Fifth Harmony ft. Ty Dolla $ign (10)
10. Me, Myself & I by G-Eazy x Bebe Rexha (8)

Fell Off Top 10

11. Stressed Out by twenty one pilots (7)

Big Gains (10+)

30. Humble and Kind by Tim McGraw (44)
41. Think Of You by Chris Young & Cassadee Pope (53)
47. Needed Me by Rihanna (59)
66. Huntin', Fishin' & Lovin' Every Day by Luke Bryan (92)
68. Nobody To Blame by Chris Stapleton (81)
72. Piece By Piece by Kelly Clarkson (82)
81. All The Way Up by Fat Joe & Remy Ma ft. French Montana (91)

Moderate Gains (5 - 9)

5. Panda by Desiigner (14)
23. Jumpman by Drake & Future (32)
36. Die A Happy Man by Thomas Rhett (45)
40. Came Here To Forget by Blake Shelton (48)
56. Cut It by O.T. Genasis ft. Young Dolph (62)
65. Team by Iggy Azalea (71)

Big Losses (10+)

46. Youth by Troye Sivan (34)
48. Drunk On Your Love by Brett Eldredge (35)
50. Hotline Bing by Drake (38)
55. Cheap Thrills by Sia ft. Sean Paul (39)
70. When We Were Young by Adele (58)
75. Try Everything by Shakira (65)
76. Best Friend by Young Thug (66)
82. Sugar by Robin Schulz ft. Francesco Yates (68)
85. Jimmy Choo by Fetty Wap (69)
93. Noise by Kenny Chesney (72)
94. Beautiful Drug by Zac Brown Band (76)
95. Heartbeat by Carrie Underwood (80)

Moderate Losses (5 - 9)

25. Hello by Adele (19)
26. Roses by The Chainsmokers ft. ROZES (20)
32. Down In The DM by Yo Gotti ft. Nicki Minaj (26)
33. Close by Nick Jonas ft. Tove Lo (27)
38. Let It Go by James Bay (30)
42. The Hills by The Weeknd (33)
44. Back To Sleep by Chris Brown (37)
45. Summer Sixteen by Drake (36)
58. My Church by Maren Morris (50)
59. I Like The Sound Of That by Rascal Flatts (52)
61. Really Really by Kevin Gates (54)
69. That Don't Sound Like You by Lee Brice (64)
77. Acquainted by The Weeknd (70)
79. Mind Reader by Dustin Lynch (74)
83. Might Be by DJ Luke Nasty (78)
91. Saved by Ty Dolla $ign (83)

Dropouts

679 by Fetty Wap ft. Remy Boyz (40, 40 weeks)
What Do You Mean? by Justin Bieber (41, 31 weeks)
Say It by Tory Lanez (42, 24 weeks)
Like I'm Gonna Lose You by Meghan Trainor ft. John Legend (46, 39 weeks)
White Iverson by Post Malone (49, 30 weeks)
Like I Would by Zayn (73, 3 weeks)
Stand By You by Rachel Platten (75, 20 weeks)
I Know What You Did Last Summer by Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello (86, 20 weeks)
With Them by Young Thug (87, 1 week)
Home Alone Tonight by Luke Bryan ft. Karen Fairchild (90, 19 weeks)
Digits by Young Thug (93, 1 week)
Moolah by Young Greatness (95, 1 week)
Something In The Way You Move by Ellie Goulding (96, 10 weeks)
New Level by A$AP Ferg ft. Future (97, 1 week)
Fast Car by Jonas Blue ft. Dakota (98, 3 weeks)
Uber Everywhere by MadeinTYO (99, 1 week)
Make Me Like You by Gwen Stefani (100, 5 weeks)

Returning Entries

90. Tennessee Whisky by Chris Stapleton

New Entries

16. Pop Style by Drake ft. The Throne
21. One Dance by Drake ft. Wizkid & Kyla
34. Famous by Kanye West
37. Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1 by Kanye West
43. Lights Come On by Jason Aldean
54. Pt. 2 by Kanye West
67. Ultralight Beam by Kanye West
71. Waves by Kanye West
74. Wasted Time by Keith Urban
80. Kiss It Better by Rihanna
84. FML by Kanye West
92. Real Friends by Kanye West
97. Come And See Me by PARTYNEXTDOOR ft. Drake
98. Never Be Like You by Flume ft. Kai
99. Feedback by Kanye West
100. Record Year by Eric Church

New and Returning Entries Ranked

1. Waves
This song makes me happy to be alive. Seriously, the beat work is fantastic and Chris Brown actually provides a stellar hook. Now if only the album had kept this as its title.

2. Record Year
We may not have had Mr. Misunderstood for long, and we probably won't have this for long either, but I'm gonna love the hell out of this. I think I might even like this one more. Bittersweet country with a ton of personality.

3. Kiss It Better
This was one of my favorite songs from AntiI'm so glad it got released as a single. Rihanna's performance is great and I love the use of guitars. It's moody and atmospheric in all the right ways. Now when's a video for Desperado coming?

4. Tennessee Whisky
It always puts a smile on my face to see Chris Stapleton return to the charts. I know this is likely because of the CMAs, but I'm glad nonetheless. Chris makes some great, authentic country.

5. Famous
A lot of you seem to really hate this song. Because it's about Taylor Swift or something? I don't care. This had tight production, a sweet groove, and a great hook from Rihanna. Yeah, I stand by saying this is one of the best songs on the album, not one of the worst.

6. Real Friends
I originally gave this song some high marks, and I still stand by that upon re-listen. Ty Dolla $ign and Kanye work well together, the beat is pleasant and somber, Kanye deals with his personal life. I'm glad this was among the songs in the album bomb.

7. Lights Come On
This kinda kicks ass. At least to me. It's kinda like Brad Paisley's Country Nation, only with more texture and grit. Not particularly special for country rock, but it does it for me.

8. Ultralight Beam
I remember having mixed thoughts about this the first time. This time, though, something just clicked with me that didn't before. Chance is still the best part of the song, but man, the whole thing's great.

9. Wasted Time
I don't think this really qualifies as country. There's too much synthetic production for it to be considered that. Good thing the song is good despite this. It might not be country, but it's still well-produced and fun. Plus it's got a sweet banjo solo.

10. Come And See Me
I'm not gonna pretend Drake isn't the only reason this didn't chart. But as far as weary R&B goes, this is actually not that bad. In fact I'd dare say it's pretty effective and pleasant. And yeah, Drake kinda outshines the lead artist here.

11. Feedback
Even though the beat's really weird and fuzzy, Kanye's rapping is really good here. Name one genius that ain't crazy! Well by this track I dunno if I'd call him a genius. But I still remember liking this when I covered the album.

12. One Dance
Decent Jamacan-y track. Not bad, but not particularly special or memorable. I don't have much to say about this one.

13. Father Stretch My Arms Pt. 1
I'm not sure why I said this was worse than Pt. 2 before. Yeah, I retract my claim that it's one of the worst songs on the album. Whatever vocals he sampled fit a lot better. Beat's slick and nice, but weird at times. The "bleach her a**hole" line is still jarring as hell though.

14. Pt. 2
It's really weird having Panda on the charts twice essentially. Kanye's lyrics do at least improve it, but the chorus from Panda playing almost unaltered is still really jarring and feels kinda out of place. The robotic voice at the end doesn't help.

15. FML
This is the Kanye song with The Weeknd. It takes forever to actually get started. It's slow and plodding, but at least Kanye's lyrics sound good. The Weeknd does alright, but he doesn't contribute that much. And the last minute is bizarre with the autotune and vocal samples. This is kinda middle tier for the album.

16. Pop Style
I find the production particularly sludgy and dull here. Eh. Also turns out The Throne is just Jay-Z and Kanye. Who kinda steal the show from Drake. Especially Kanye. But dude, that beat just kinda kills everything. In a bad way.

17. Never Be Like You
Oh god that trap production kinda ruins everything. Which is a shame because there's good stuff in this song. Good synths and a solid vocal performance. But that percussion and wub-wub sounds bring that all to a screeching halt. I don't care if it's supposed to be messy and ugly, it's still messy and ugly.

Top 20 Ranked

Great

I Took A Pill In Ibiza
Me, Myself & I
Stressed Out
7 Years
Love Yourself
Never Forget You

Good

Dangerous Woman
Sorry
2 Phones

Decent

Work
My House
Cake By The Ocean

Meh

Panda
Pillowtalk

Bad

Hands To Myself
Oui by Jeremih

Awful

Pop Style
Work From Home
One Call Away
No

No comments:

Post a Comment