Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Billboard Hot 100 Highlights May 7th, 2016


Is it odd that I'm glad I can start these things with a different picture now? Sure, Panda isn't that great, but heh, I'll take it. Even if without it 7 Years would be at Number 1 right now. But that song has soured on me somewhat. Not a lot. Still think it deserved to be Number 1 more. Also massive amount of Prince songs re-entering. Wasn't really expecting that for another week but it's welcome. HIGHLIGHTS TIME!



Top 10

1. Panda by Desiigner (2)
2. 7 Years by Lukas Graham (3)
3. One Dance by Drake ft. Wizkid & Kyla (13)
4. Work by Rihanna ft. Drake (1)
5. I Took A Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner (6)
6. Work From Home by Fifth Harmony ft. Ty Dolla $ign (7)
7. No by Meghan Trainor (4)
8. Pillowtalk by Zayn (5)
9. Love Yourself by Justin Bieber (8)
10. Me, Myself & I by G-Eazy x Bebe Rexha (10)

Fell Off Top 10

11. Cake By The Ocean by DNCE (9)

Big Gains (10+)

3. One Dance by Drake ft. Wizkid & Kyla (13)
23. Needed Me by Rihanna (33)
70. Kiss It Better by Rihanna (83)
84. If It Ain't Love by Jason Derulo (94)

Moderate Gains (5 - 9)

56. T-Shirt by Thomas Rhett (61)
79. Head Over Boots by Jon Pardi (84)

Big Losses (10+)

35. Hands To Myself by Selena Gomez (24)
55. You Should Be Here by Cole Swindell (38)
57. Back To Sleep by Chris Brown (37)
62. Famous by Kanye West (49)
64. Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1 by Kanye West (54)
66. Summer Sixteen by Drake (51)
78. New Romantics by Taylor Swift (46)
81. That Don't Sound Like You by Lee Brice (64)
82. Piece By Piece by Kelly Clarkson (63)
83. Drunk On Your Love by Brett Eldredge (65)
88. Little Bit Of You by Chase Bryant (71)
89. Ophelia by The Lumineers (66)
92. Might Be by DJ Luke Nasty (79)
97. Pt. 2 by Kanye West (73)

Moderate Losses (5 - 9)

21. Sorry by Justin Bieber (16)
25. Pop Style by Drake ft. The Throne (19)
33. Roses by The Chainsmokers ft. ROZES (28)
34. Jumpman by Drake & Future (25)
36. Hello by Adele (27)
37. Don't by Bryson Tiller (30)
40. Down In The DM by Yo Gotti ft. Nicki Minaj (32)
44. Humble and Kind by Tim McGraw (36)
45. Think Of You by Chris Young & Cassadee Pope (40)
48. The Hills by The Weeknd (39)
49. Youth by Troye Sivan (43)
50. Lost Boy by Ruth B (41)
53. Came Here To Forget by Blake Shelton (48)
59. I Like The Sound Of That by Rascal Flatts (52)
63. Promise by Kid Ink ft. Fetty Wap (57)
67. Team by Iggy Azalea (59)
68. Really Really by Kevin Gates (62)
87. Saved by Ty Dolla $ign ft. E-40 (81)
98. Jimmy Choo by Fetty Wap (89)

Dropouts

Die A Happy Man by Thomas Rhett (45, 30 weeks)
Messin' Around by Pitbull ft. Enrique Iglesias (70, 1 week)
Try Everything by Shakira (74, 6 weeks)
Nobody To Blame by Chris Stapleton (80, 15 weeks)
Waves by Kanye West (86, 2 weeks)
Sugar by Robin Schulz ft. Francesco Yates (88, 15 weeks)
Ultralight Beam by Kanye West (90, 2 weeks)
Ain't Your Mama by Jennifer Lopez (92, 1 week)
Victorious by Panic! At The Disco (96, 4 weeks)
Record Year by Eric Church (97, 2 weeks)
Come And See Me by PARTYNEXTDOOR ft. Drake (98, 2 weeks)
New Level by A$AP Ferg ft. Future (100, 2 weeks)

Returning Entries

17. Purple Rain by Prince & The Revolution
20. When Doves Cry by Prince & The Revolution
28. Kiss by Prince & The Revolution
29. Little Red Corvette by Prince
39. Let's Go Crazy by Prince & The Revolution
41. 1999 by Prince
91. Wasted Time by Keith Urban

New Entries

42. Just Like Fire by P!nk
73. Wicked by Future
93. i hate u, i love u by gnash ft. Olivia O'Brien
95. You Don't Own Me by Grace ft. G-Eazy
99. Let Me Love You by Ariana Grande ft. Lil Wayne

New and Returning Entries Ranked

1. Let's Go Crazy
Real-talk, this is my favorite Prince song of all time. "We are gathered here to get through this thing called life." No kidding. Also that guitar solo at the end. Possibly the best guitar solo of all time.

2. Purple Rain
Classic lighters-in-the-air ballad. Fitting that it was the highest-charting Prince song to return this week. Rest in peace, you wonderful purple man. Thanks for being awesome.

3. 1999
Synthpop at its finest. Also timeless despite the fact that it names a specific year. I remember Weezer even name checked this song in Troublemaker from the Red Album. That's a good song too. Not as good as this.

4. You Don't Own Me
Put a smile on my face to see this on here. I like G-Eazy, I really do, and this is pretty close to being the best thing he's been on. Me Myself & I is a hard bar to beat for me though. But really it's Grace who dominates this track. It's harsh and exploding with style.

5. When Doves Cry
Whenever I think of this song I think of the Simpsons episode where Milhouse hugs the Shelbyville Milhouse in sadness. I'm weird like that. Still, good song. It's weird and somber but it's definitely a classic.

6. Little Red Corvette
Another staple of classic rock radio. I always thought that "class" line should've rhymed with "ass" somehow though. Maybe that's just me. Still a good song, even if I think it's a bit weaker than the other Prince songs from this week.

7. i hate u, i love u
Well, this isn't what I was expecting. These sentiments aren't exactly new, but it's touching nonetheless. I feel like gnash could cuss a bit less, but otherwise this works for me.

8. Wasted Time
I am fully aware this isn't country. I still reserve my right to like it. Just a fun song about having fun, nothing wrong with that in my book.

9. Let Me Love You
Not as sexy as Love Me Harder but it's still pretty sexy. At least when the trap elements aren't playing, could've done without those. I'm also not sure Lil Wayne is right for this song. He sounds wasted here. Decent song, but could've been a great song if it ironed out some flaws.

10. Wicked
Okay, not sure why a song from one of Future's mixtapes is getting attention. Especially when it sounds so incomplete. The chorus is weak, there's random callouts to DJs throughout the song, the beat is alright but nothing special. Can we get a little less Future on the charts please?

11. Kiss
I always thought this song was called "You Don't Have To Be Rich" or something along those lines. Gonna be honest, I never liked this song that much. I find it more grating than anything. And I thought my top 6 was gonna be all Prince this week. Sorry.

12. Just Like Fire
Overproduced, I'm not sure how this is supposed to fit into the new Alice in Wonderland mvoie. Also I dunno if anyone else hears this, but there's something unnatural about this song. And I'm not just talking about that rap bridge, though that didn't help. Also I feel like P!nk usually has more personality than this.

Top 20 Ranked

Great

I Took A Pill In Ibiza
Purple Rain
Don't Let Me Down
When Doves Cry
Me, Myself & I
Stressed Out
Never Forget You
Love Yourself

Good

7 Years
Dangerous Woman
2 Phones

Decent

Panda
Cake By The Ocean
Low Life
Work
My House
One Dance

Meh

Pillowtalk

Bad

N/A

Awful

Work From Home
No

(72/100)

No comments:

Post a Comment