Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Billboard Hot 100 Highlights December 23rd, 2017


Yes I am a day late with this. Work was killing me last night and I just didn't feel like doing this when I got back. Mostly because it looked like a pretty bad week. But was it? Let's find out. Highlights.

Top 20

1. Perfect by Ed Sheeran & Beyoncé (3)
2. Rockstar by Post Malone ft. 21 Savage (1)
3. Havana by Camila Cabello ft. Young Thug (2)
4. Gucci Gang by Lil Pump (4)
5. Thunder by Imagine Dragons (5)
6. Too Good At Goodbyes by Sam Smith (6)
7. No Limit by G-Eazy ft. A$AP Rocky & Cardi B (8)
8. Bad At Love by Halsey (11)
9. Bodak Yellow (Money Moves) by Cardi B (7)
10. What Lovers Do by Maroon 5 ft. SZA (9)
11. All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey (21)
12. Feel It Still by Portugal. The Man (10)
13. Gummo by 6ix9ine (54) (just...no)
14. I Get The Bag by Gucci Mane ft. Migos (16)
15. MotorSport by Migos, Nicki Minaj & Cardi B (17)
16. Sorry Not Sorry by Demi Lovato (12)
17. New Rules by Dua Lipa (15)
18. Mi Gente by J Balvin & Willy William ft. Beyoncé (13)
19. 1-800-273-8255 by Logic ft. Alessia Cara & Khalid (14)
20. Wolves by Selena Gomez X Marshmello (20)

Fell Off Top 20

23. I Fall Apart by Post Malone (19)
24. Bank Account by 21 Savage (18)

Big Gains (10+)

11. All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey (21)
13. Gummo by 6ix9ine (54)
29. The Way Life Goes by Lil Uzi Vert ft. Nicki Minaj (39)
35. Sky Walker by Miguel ft. Travis Scott (55)
39. End Game by Taylor Swift ft. Ed Sheeran & Future (83)

Moderate Gains (5 - 9)

26. How Long by Charlie Puth (32)
31. Meant To Be by Bebe Rexha & Florida Georgia Line (40)
44. Ric Flair Drip by Offset & Metro Boomin (49)
59. Candy Paint by Post Malone (64)
73. Pick It Up by Famous Dex ft. A$AP Rocky (82)

Big Losses (10+)

43. ...Ready For It? by Taylor Swift (31)
51. What About Us by Pink (33)
69. Unforgettable by Thomas Rhett (59)
71. MIC Drop by BTS ft. Desiigner (28)
72. Look What You Made Me Do by Taylor Swift (60)
94. Ask Me How I Know by Garth Brooks (71)

Moderate Losses (5 - 9)

18. Mi Gente by J Balvin & Willy William ft. Beyoncé (13)
19. 1-800-273-8255 by Logic ft. Alessia Cara & Khalid (14)
24. Bank Account by 21 Savage (18)
28. Young Dumb & Broke by Khalid (22)
30. Believer by Imagine Dragons (25)
32. Despacito by Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee ft. Justin Bieber (23)
36. Attention by Charlie Puth (30)
54. Greatest Love Story by LANCO (48)
58. Codeine Dreaming by Kodak Black ft. Lil Wayne (52)
65. When It Rains It Pours by Luke Combs (56)
79. Love So Soft by Kelly Clarkson (70)
81. Ghostface Killers by 21 Savage, Offset & Metro Boomin ft. Travis Scott (75)
92. Transportin' by Kodak Black (87)

Dropouts

  • Rake It Up by Yo Gotti ft. Nicki Minaj (34, 8, 22 weeks)
  • Praying by Kesha (35, 22, 21 weeks)
  • Strip That Down by Liam Payne ft. Quavo (41, 10, 28 weeks)
  • Do Re Mi by Blackbear (44, 40, 25 weeks)
  • Slow Hands by Niall Horan (50, 11, 31 weeks)
  • Walk On Water by Eminem ft. Beyoncé (79, 14, 3 weeks)
  • Fix A Drink by Chris Janson (90, 67, 14 weeks)
  • It's Everyday Bro by Jake Paul ft. Team 10 (91, 91, 2 weeks)
  • Go Flex by Post Malone (95, 76, 11 weeks)
  • Beautiful Trauma by Pink (97, 95, 2 weeks)
  • Legends by Kelsea Ballerini (98, 98, 1 week)
  • Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Chloe Kohanski (99, 99, 1 week)
  • Perro Fiel by Shakira ft. Nicky Jam (100, 100, 1 week)

Returning Entries

37. Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee
42. The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas To You) by Nat King Cole
45. It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year by Andy Williams
47. A Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives
53. Tell Me You Love Me by Demi Lovato
90. Broken Halos by Chris Stapleton

New Entries

21. Him & I by G-Eazy & Halsey
61. Kooda by 6ix9ine
93. Juice by Yo Gotti
95. Bella y Sensual by Romeo Santos ft. Nicky Jam & Daddy Yankee
97. Marry Me by Thomas Rhett
98. Five More Minutes by Scotty McCreery
99. Criminal by Natti Natasha x Ozuna

New and Returning Entries Ranked

1. Marry Me

I was pretty happy to see that this was the next single Rhett chose for Life Changes. I think this was my favorite song from the album, for its surprisingly mature look at separation from an ex. Similarly to When I Was Your Man. It expresses realistic heartbreak, and the writing is very sympathetic and relatable in a way. Combined with a sweeping, low key progression that wrings out the emotion well, and you have a song that will probably be the best thing Thomas Rhett will ever write. Great song. Great choice for a single.

2. Broken Halos

Back again? Fine by me. Great country.

3. Five More Minutes

A song about nostalgia, made of old stories in which Scotty wishes that he had "five more minutes". And the emotional core is in the right place. Scotty McCreery's a good performer here, and it's pretty heartfelt. It's a feel-good time, though I don't know if the little synth bits in the background were really necessary. Ah well. I still like this quite a bit.

4. Holly Jolly Christmas

Surprisingly haven't heard this one yet this year. Huh. Rudolph. I like it.

5. Him & I

I had heard about this song long before I actually listened to it. I'm not surprised this hasn't been well liked in my circle. But I dunno, this isn't that bad. The writing's a little hackey, yeah, especially in Halsey's chorus, but her and G actually have pretty good chemistry together. The beat's laidback and cool too, taking some influences from old school hip hop with some cool guitars. Yeah yeah, I'm giving another G-Eazy song a pass. Shut up. I'll laugh at this song when these two break up, alright? How's that sound?

6. Tell Me You Love Me

I never did listen to the album of the same name. Heard it wasn't very good. But since when has that meant anything to me? Seems this recharted thanks to the video. No issues there, I like this. It's a bit overdramatic but it sounds great. Aside from some issues in vocal production.

7. Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree

Now this I've actually heard this season. Albeit in different versions. Just go with the Brenda Lee version, jeez. I always did find it weird that she wanted to have pumpkin pie though. That's more of a Thanksgiving thing.

8. It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

I remember this only recently charting for the first time last year. Which is weird to me considering how omnipresent this song is during every Christmas season. Was never one of my favorites anyway.

9. The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas To You)

Also not one of my favorites. It's okay but it's a bit too slow and depressing for me. Despite it trying to be warming and inviting. But, I've heard my fair share of depressing Christmas songs at work recently, so I guess it's not that bad.

10. Bella y Sensual

"Beautiful and Sensual." Like I needed to tell you this. Gonna be honest, I found it hard to pay attention while listening to this. I've never liked Romeo Santos and this didn't help. Nicky Jam is generic as always. Daddy Yankee's autotune is just...the worst. This is just really generic. Like everything else Nicky Jam has done.

11. Criminal

I haven't been looking forward to this. Mostly because of that stupid chorus. It's maddenly catchy and yet I hate it so much. And I don't know if I could explain why. Maybe because of how taunting the melody is but how flatly Natti Natasha delivers it. Though she's more expressive on the verses, Ozuna is a vacuum of personality throughout this. And of course the beat's stock and pretty flat. Shouldn't a song about being or feeling like a criminal should feel more dangerous? This falls flat.

12. Juice

Okay, so this is how this song probably came to be: Yo Gotti noticed how big Rake It Up got so he figured he didn't need to try with the beats he picked anymore. Also he listened to Independent by Webbie and decided he wanted to do something similar in his hook. This is at least a little better than Rake It Up because it sounds like Gotti's trying a little harder but this is still lousy. Completely disposable and you better not make it a hit.

13. Kooda

This is just Gummo again. With more emphasis on synths I guess. Still, STOP GIVING THIS GUY HITS. HE IS A PEDOPHILE AND A LOUDMOUTH. I could be listening to Lucas Joyner's I'm Not Racist right now...sigh...

1 comment:

  1. I do find it kind of shocking that AIWFCIY actually managed to re-peak at 11, where it peaked back in 2015. Now I wonder if ti could crack the top 10, I think it very well could.

    ReplyDelete