Saturday, October 8, 2016

Retro Album Review: Kerplunk by Green Day


Radio Revolution came out yesterday. But of course I'm going through Green Day's discography before I get to that album. I can't wait. Green Day fans seem to hold this album in high regard, even though it came out before they made it big with Dookie. Time to see for myself what it's all about. I'm not going to be talking about the last four tracks since they're just bonus tracks from the Sweet Children EP. I might give it a listen on my own time later though.



1. 2000 Light Years Away

That riff sounds a lot like Chump from Dookie. The production quality seems to have improved from 39/Smooth, which is a good sign. Billie Joel remembers a girl from his past who's long gone. Typical punk stuff, but damn does it sound good. It's energetic and fun. Great first impression. Can't wait to hear more.

2. One for the Razorbacks

The opening of this kinda reminds me of Blurry by Puddle of Mudd. Fortunately this song is of much higher quality. For the most part it's got a bit of a surfer vibe. I don't know if that comes across to anyone else. It's got a pretty neat guitar solo to boot. Good stuff.

3. Welcome to Paradise

Definitely got a rougher sound than in Dookie. I loved the song on that album, and it's still incredible here. I think it's a little faster too. The breakdown's still there, though I think it faired a little better when they rerecorded it.

4. Christie Road

Good old chunky guitar riffs. Another song about boredom. A little slower than they usually did in this point in their careers, but unlike Rest from 39/Smooth, it's not to its detriment. I like the way it contrasts with the blisteringly fast Welcome to Paradise. It's chill, and that's alright. It even picks up the pace at two minutes in.

5. Private Ale

The guitars in the beginning are almost menacing in the way they build to the main riff. I dig it. There's not a lot I can say about this song that I can't about the others I've heard. There are the vocal samples on the bridge, I suppose. I love the way the bass sounds after that part for what it's worth. Great stuff.

6. Dominated Love Slave

Oh my god, what is this? I think this is going for more of a country vibe and I think that's Tré Cool singing. And the lyrics are basically about BDSM I think. Wow. What the hell? The lyrics and tone don't match and it's hilarious. I think I love this.

7. One of My Lies

Back to business as usual. Getting high and just messing around. The instrumental isn't anything special, but it is well-done. Definitely fun and energetic. Chunky guitar riffs at the end. Good stuff.

8. 80

Oooh, love the basswork at the beginning. Sets a great groove for the rest of the song, where Billie questions his own sanity. As he typically does. Not particularly special, but again, it's fun. So much fun.

9. Android

This is blisteringly fast. Damn. I guess this is most similar to Emenius Sleepus from Dookie. Only its bridge doesn't have an insane drum solo. Ah well. It's still a blast.

10. No One Knows

This song starts out with this really pretty bass part. It's nice, the whole song is in a minor key I think. Kinda makes the song feel sluggish and not as appealing as the rest of the album. Still good, but it kinda stands out like a sore thumb.

11. Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?

Intense. Fast guitar and drum work. The bridge after the second chorus is fantastic, especially the way it ends with those drum rolls. Definitely one of the highlights of the album. Not a lot to say, it just sounds great.

12. Words I Might Have Ate

This song uses a more prominent acoustic guitar. Guess it's giving me Warning vibes. But in a good way. Gives it a unique style from the rest of the album and allows the bass to stand out a little more. A bit weird for a closing track, but a good one regardless.

Final Verdict: Again, this is about what I expected. Somewhat of a prequel to Dookie, and it even hits a lot of the same notes that album would hit. The production quality is noticeably improved from 39/Smooth, but not quite to Dookie's levels. All three members are giving it their all in almost every song, and it sounds great. My only real issue with the album is that some of the songs tend to blend together for me and not a lot of them stand out. Then again, I probably felt that way with Dookie at one point too. Still, great album all around.

Rating: Strong 8/10
Best songs: Welcome to Paradise, Dominated Love Slave, 80, Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?, Words I Might Have Ate
Worst songs: No One Knows

No comments:

Post a Comment