Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Album Review: Still Brazy by YG


This isn't an album I expected to want to check out. My first impression of YG was My Hitta, and I didn't really care for that song. But, I'm willing to give him a second chance. I've heard great buzz for this album, and a friend of mine even requested that I take a look at this. The guy's name is RobLikesMusic on Twitter, so there ya go. Time to sink my teeth into one of the most memetic album covers of the year.

1. Pops Hot Intro
A spoken word intro where a man blames some woman for being stuck in Los Angeles. I don't get it.

2. Don't Come to LA (ft. Sad Boy, A.D. & Bricc Baby)
Oh wow this bassy instrumentation sounds like a Kendrick Lamar track. This feels awesome. AD's verse kinda reminds me of Lil Jon in a way; he's just so rowdy and energetic. But really everyone in this song is giving it their all. Very good first impression.

3. Who Shot Me?
This goes for more of a minimalist vibe. More emphasis on piano and slower bass. And it works. It's deliciously dark in addressing the paranoia with being on someone's hitlist and on the verge of death. Damn.

4. Word Is Bond (ft. Slim 400)
Right off the bat, the bass is a bit too synthetic for my liking. But as a whole it's still got a great sense of the old school hip hop sound. Good lines, though the chorus is kinda repetitive. Slim 400's flow and delivery kinda reminds me of old Eminem. Maybe that's some intentional naming? I like his part.

5. Twist My Fingaz
The pre-chorus is pretty similar to part of Eminem's Without Me. Why is he on my mind all of a sudden? The bass is still a bit synthy, but I like it here better than in Word Is Bond. Also Slim 400 comes for a bridge. It's pretty wonderful.

6. Good Times Interlude (ft. Skye 800, Duce, Marley Blu & Burnt Out)
Everyone just kinda talking over each other. Not much to talk about. Interlude/10

7. Gimmie Got Shot
No, not Gimmie! In all seriousness, YG speaks of greed and disloyalty. Lyrically this feels like the strongest on the album so far. That bass and those synths are just tasty and kinda haunting. I dig this a lot.

8. I Got A Question (ft. Lil Wayne)
It's like Why? by Jadakiss. Except it doesn't suck. Because it's not Jadakiss, and YG actually knows what he's talking about. Those synths are on point; they're slick and smooth. Lil Wayne's part is decent too, but I kinda prefer YG, at least here.

9. Why You Always Hatin? (ft. Drake & Kamaiyah)
I talked about this song before on Highlights. Within the context of the rest of this album, this doesn't sound quite as good. Mostly a brag track with production that reminds me of late 2000s rap in a bad way. It's still good, just not as good as the previous tracks.

10. My Perception (ft. Slim 400)
Pretty much a follow-up interlude track to Why You Always Hatin?. Why are people hating on YG? I dunno.

11. Bool, Balm & Bollective
A play on words of "cool, calm, and collective". Apparently YG doesn't like to start words with the letter c. Genius' words, not mine. YG's witnessing some pretty horrible things, but he's not even phased. Badass. The synths are pretty awesome too.

12. She Wish She Was (ft. Joe Moses & Jay 305)
I'm...not sure what I could say about this song that wouldn't make me sound like a misogynist. I have a feeling YG and crew are crossing the line when it comes to addressing women. Beat's nice at least.

13. YG Be Safe (ft. The Homegirl)
Basically the outro to She Wish She Was. Why did this need to be its own track? Whatever.

14. Still Brazy
Bass is fantastic as with the rest of the album. And now I finally figured out brazy=crazy. YG is focused on the crazy crap that's gone on around him, and it is fantastic. Gotta love this intensity.

15. FDT (ft. Nipsey Hussle)
Yeah. Fuck Donald Trump. Of course the alternative at this point is Hilary...ack. Usually I wouldn't be on board with a song that targets one person in particular, but...it's Donald Trump. Seriously, screw him. Plus good bass and high hats. What's not to love?

16. Blacks & Browns (ft. Sad Boy)
Whereas this song targets the government and system in general rather than just one individual. And it rocks. It speaks to the disenfranchised and those who have been racially discriminated against. It's powerful, despite its minimalist production and synth-heavy bass.

17. Police Get Away wit Murder
Pretty clear what this one's about. Police brutality and racism. YG's intensity on this track in particular is impressive. It's righteously pissed, and it's one of the few tracks on this album that has a prominent upper mix. The perfect album closer.

Final Verdict: Man this was fantastic. My first impressions of YG were completely wrong, because this is absolutely fantastic. Most if not all of these songs have fantastic bass, and YG's lyricism is superb. It's an album about black discrimination and the problems that come with racial profiling and gang activity. It feels like old school hip hop, but for the most part manages to sound modern and accessible to the average hip hop listener today. I was expecting to like this album, but I wasn't expecting to like it this much.

Rating: 9/10
Best songs: Police Get Away wit Murder, Don't Come to LA, Blacks & Browns, Gimmie Got Shot, FDT
Worst songs: Why You Always Hatin?, She Wish She Was

No comments:

Post a Comment