Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Billboard Hot 100 Highlights March 31, 2018


Well, looks like we're not getting as much X as anticipated, right? Heh...Highlights.

Also, I won't be giving thoughts on returning entries from this point forward.
Top 20

1. God's Plan by Drake (1)
2. Meant To Be by Bebe Rexha ft. Florida Georgia Line (4)
3. Perfect by Ed Sheeran (2)
4. Finesse (Remix) by Bruno Mars ft. Cardi B (3)
5. Psycho by Post Malone ft. Ty Dolla $ign (5)
6. The Middle by Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey (6)
7. Sad! by XXXTENTACION (19)
8. Havana by Camila Cabello ft. Young Thug (7)
9. Freaky Friday by Lil Dicky ft. Chris Brown (New)
10. Pray For Me by The Weeknd & Kendrick Lamar (8)
11. Look Alive by BlocBoy JB ft. Drake (9)
12. Stir Fry by Migos (11)
13. Ric Flair Drip by Offset & Metro Boomin (15)
14. All The Stars by Kendrick Lamar & SZA (10)
15. Mine by Bazzi (17)
16. New Rules by Dua Lipa (14)
17. Let You Down by NF (13)
18. Rockstar by Post Malone ft. 21 Savage (12)
19. Never Be The Same by Camila Cabello (16)
20. Walk It Talk It by Migos ft. Drake (69)

Fell Off Top 20

21. Him & I by G-Eazy & Halsey (18)
22. Thunder by Imagine Dragons (20)

Big Gains (10+)

7. Sad! by XXXTENTACION (19)
20. Walk It Talk It by Migos ft. Drake (69)
28. Friends by Marshmello & Anne-Marie (41)
37. Changes by XXXTENTACION (59)
40. Lemon by N*E*R*D & Rihanna (61)
51. Powerglide by Rae Sremmurd ft. Juicy J (76)
52. All On Me by Devin Dawson (65)
59. X by Nicky Jam x J Balvin (71)
66. Delicate by Taylor Swift (84)
85. I Lived It by Blake Shelton (95)

Moderate Gains (5 - 9)

30. Heaven by Kane Brown (36)
53. Love Lies by Khalid & Normani (58)
58. IDGAF by Dua Lipa (64)
65. Hardaway by Derez De'Shon (72)
78. When We by Tank (86)
90. She's With Me by High Valley (96)

Big Losses (10+)

48. How Long by Charlie Puth (38)
55. Broken Halos by Chris Stapleton (45)
56. Everyday by Logic & Marshmello (29)
61. Billy by 6ix9ine (50)
62. Top Off by DJ Khaled ft. Jay-Z, Future & Beyoncé (49)
63. Gummo by 6ix9ine (52)
68. Zombie by Bad Wolves (54)
70. 44 More by Logic (46)
77. NBAYOUNGBOAT by Lil Yachty ft. YoungBoy Never Broke Again (63)
81. Nowadays by Lil Skies ft. Landon Cube (62)
92. Written In The Sand by Old Dominion (81)

Moderate Losses (5 - 9)

18. Rockstar by Post Malone ft. 21 Savage (12)
27. King's Dead by Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar, Future & James Blake (21)
32. Say Something by Justin Timberlake ft. Chris Stapleton (26)
33. Bad At Love by Halsey (27)
34. Feel It Still by Portugal. The Man (28)
38. Bartier Cardi by Cardi B ft. 21 Savage (31)
41. Wolves by Selena Gomez x Marshmello (33)
42. Love. by Kendrick Lamar ft. Zacari (37)
44. No Limit by G-Eazy ft. A$AP Rocky & Cardi B (39)
50. Sky Walker by Miguel ft. Travis Scott (44)
60. Five More Minutes by Scotty McCreery (55)

Dropouts
  • Plain Jane by A$AP Ferg (47, 26, 25 weeks)
  • Sorry Not Sorry by Demi Lovato (48, 6, 36 weeks)
  • Indica Badu by Logic ft. Wiz Khalifa (56, 56, 1 week)
  • Contra by Logic (60, 60, 1 week)
  • Overnight by Logic (68, 68, 1 week)
  • 66 by Lil Yachty ft. Trippie Redd (73, 73, 1 week)
  • Midnight by Logic (74, 74, 1 week)
  • Wassup by Logic ft. Big Sean (83, 83, 1 week)
  • River by Eminem ft. Ed Sheeran (85, 11, 13 weeks)
  • Yuck by Logic (87, 87, 1 week)
  • Boom! by Lil Yachty ft. Ugly God (88, 88, 1 week)
  • This Is Me by Keala Settle & The Greatest Showman Ensemble (91, 58, 11 weeks)
  • X by ScHoolboy Q, 2 Chainz & Saudi (93, 49, 5 weeks)
  • BoomTrap Protocol by Logic (97, 97, 1 week)
  • Warm It Up by Logic (98, 98, 1 week)

Returning Entries

87. Tequila by Dan + Shay
91. Sativa by Jhené Aiko ft. Rae Sremmurd
94. Tempo by Chris Brown
98. La Modelo by Ozuna x Cardi B

New Entries

9. Freaky Friday by Lil Dicky ft. Chris Brown
35. Moonlight by XXXTENTACION
49. Found/Tonight by Lin-Manuel Miranda & Ben Platt
67. The Remedy For A Broke Heart (Why Am I So In Love) by XXXTENTACION
72. In My Blood by Shawn Mendes
82. Numb by XXXTENTACION
83. Infinity (888) by XXXTENTACION ft. Joey Bada$$
84. One Number Away by Luke Combs
86. Sit Next To Me by Foster The People
95. Going Down! by XXXTENTACION
100. Everybody Hates Me by The Chainsmokers

New Entries Ranked

1. Sit Next To Me

This is something I've been looking forward to happening for a few weeks. Partially for the novelty of a band thought to be a one hit wonder back in 2011 coming back with a song I'd argue is actually better than Pumped Up Kicks. Yeah, I dig the disco vibes this song has going, along with the singer's falsetto on the chorus. It's liquid smooth and pretty likable. Maybe not super original or groundbreaking, but this still does a lot for me. Hope it does well.

2. Everybody Hates Me

I'm surprised this chart after You Owe Me didn't even touch the Hot 100. Then again this barely scraped by. But yeah, I like this. I think it's the best of The Chainsmokers' singles this year, mostly for the big mood the title phrase "I walk into the club like everybody hates me" carries. For me at least, it's a cathartic look at the way fame can change people's perception of you and ultimately make you paranoid. Sticks the landing much better than the pretentious Sick Boy and You Owe Me, for sure. Drop is also fine, though a little basic. Plus, I think the vocal melodies on the verses are a little stilted. Not as catchy as I think they could be, and that does hold it back. But overall, decent song. 

3. Found/Tonight

Imagine my surprise to see a Lin-Manuel Miranda song on the charts this week. I didn't hear anyone mention this song. Anyway, apparently it's a mash-up of a song from Hamilton and Dear Evan Hansen. The latter of which I've never heard of. I imagine this is better if you're familiar with both sources, but even as an outsider, I enjoy this. It's theatrically smooth, the singing is excellent, and the lyrics fit together fairly well. I think. Again, they're from musicals, so I guess there must be some thematic similarities. Probably not something I'm gonna remember well, but something I can definitely appreciate.

4. Infinity (888)

Oh come on, couldn't this have just been a solo Joey song? Because this is actually pretty good. The beat's jazzy and smooth, and Joey in particular rides it incredibly well. And unfortunately, X actually kinda fits it well too. Despite his voice cracking. Granted, Joey blows him out of the water lyrically. There is that one section where X speed raps, but it's less impressive when he segments it with ad libs. But overall...fine. It's a good song. People weren't blowing smoke when they said this was the best song on ?.

5. Freaky Friday

Controversy time, yay! Although I kinda anticipated that I wouldn't hate this nearly as much as I'm supposed to, given that I've never hated Lil Dicky. Anyway, simple concept. Chris Brown and Lil Dicky switch bodies after Dicky realizes no one takes him seriously. And honestly, there is something humorous about Chris pretending to be Lil Dicky pretending to be Chris Brown. The first time I heard this, I was amused by "Dicky" abusing his n word privileges, and later when Chris is trending on Twitter. And I thought the cameos from Ed Sheeran and DJ Khaled were funny, even if it's actually cooler to be Ed than it is to be Chris. The Kendal Jenner outro though...yeah, that went on for longer than it needed to. Couple this all with a tolerable DJ Mustard beat and I think it's okay. Not the funniest song I've ever heard, but one I can't hate. 

6. Numb

Pearl compared this to Imagine Dragons earlier. ...is that why I like it? Yes, surprisingly, I think this is okay. Something about the slow, haunting electric guitar progression hits a bit of a sweet spot for me. Not enough to distract me from how basic it feels, but I can still see the appeal in a weird way. It's raw and anthemic. If a little incomplete, which does hold it back. And yes, Linkin Park better.

7. In My Blood

Given that I've been a Shawn Mendes apologist since Stitches and that people seem to really like this song, it's awkward to think that this doesn't do that much for me. I don't think it's a bad song by any means, but I think what holds this back for me a bit is Shawn Mendes' performance on this. It's more willowy here than I'm used to. And in theory, that should work, but I think I like his voice more when he's using more bass. Plus the sweeping progression doesn't hit me as hard as I would like it to. Again, not bad, but not amazing either. Eh. Maybe that other song the guy released is better.

8. One Number Away

Luke Combs is Superman! Okay, I'm kidding. Not really sure what to think of this song. Lyrics are about Luke showing regret that he walked out on the relationship, wondering if the girl is feeling similar feelings of regret or sadness. It's...not a bad sentiment, I guess. It puts Luke in a vulnerable position at least. But where I start having big issues is with the structure. Instrumentation doesn't sound that bad I guess, but like with What Ifs, the verses and chorus don't mesh together that well. The verses sound morose while the chorus sounds more cheery. Kind of a weird transition. Still, it's not offensive or stupid or anything. It's fine. Sure.

9. Moonlight

Between the twinkling synths and skittering trap percussion, I think this could've been at the very least tolerable if you didn't have the constant wooping/warping sound. I don't know how to describe that, but with the way it drastically and constantly changes pitch, it's really irritating. Plus with the way X mumbles, it's just meandering and pointless. The kind of thing I can see really grating on me if it sticks around.

10. The Remedy For A Broken Heart (Why Am I So In Love)

And we're back to the default 17 sound I expected to hear on this project. This is just an empty husk of a song, mostly carried by that muffled vocal snippet which I think is saying "why am I so in love". The acoustic guitars are basic and skeletal. X's verse doesn't emote. And since there's only one verse, a lot of this feels like filler. Boring and not worth thinking about.

11. Going Down!

Easily the worst of the X songs that debuted this week. Not quite as bad as Changes, but definitely up there. Everything about this is incompetent, from the cheap-as-usual production quality, skeletal structure, and the awful, awful voices X uses throughout this. Especially on the verse. What is this supposed to convey? Because to me, it seems to serve no purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment