Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Billboard Hot 100 Highlighs April 29th, 2017


So, my predictions that there would be a Chainsmokers album bomb were incorrect. Suppose I can count my blessings in a way. In the meantime, our fourth One Direction solo career has started and it's already making waves. Best of luck. HIGHLIGHTS TIME!

Top 20

1. Shape Of You by Ed Sheeran (1)
2. That's What I Like by Bruno Mars (3)
3. Humble. by Kendrick Lamar (2)
4. Sign of the Times by Harry Styles (New)
5. Something Just Like This by The Chainsmokers & Coldplay (5) (Biggest Airplay Gainer)
6. iSpy by KYLE ft. Lil Yachty (4)
7. Mask Off by Future (11) (Biggest Streaming Gainer)
8. XO TOUR Llif3 by Lil Uzi Vert (16)
9. Body Like A Back Road by Sam Hunt (6)
10. Paris by The Chainsmokers (9)
11. It Ain't Me by Kygo x Selena Gomez (13)
12. Issues by Julia Michaels (22) (Biggest Digital Sales Gainer)
13. Rockabye by Clean Bandit ft. Sean Paul & Anne-Marie (10)
14. Stay by Zedd & Alessia Cara (14)
15. Tunnel Vision by Kodak Black (15)
16. Say You Won't Let Go by James Arthur (17)
17. I Feel It Coming by The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk (7)
18. Bad And Boujee by Migos ft. Lil Uzi Vert (12)
19. Congratulations by Post Malone ft. Quavo (25)
20. Location by Khalid (24)

Fell Off Top 20

24. Love On The Brain by Rihanna (18)
25. Bounce Back by Big Sean (20)
26. I Don't Wanna Live Forever (Fifty Shades Darker) by Zayn & Taylor Swift (15)
27. Chained To The Rhythm by Katy Perry ft. Skip Marley (19)

Big Gains (10+)

12. Issues by Julia Michaels (22)
42. Swalla by Jason Derulo ft. Nicki Minaj & Ty Dolla $ign (52)
57. Castle On The Hill by Ed Sheeran (69)
63. Losin Control by Russ (79)
64. The Weekend by Brantley Gilbert (80)
65. Call On Me by Starley (82)
75. Drowning by A Boogie Wit da Hoodie ft. Kodak Black (94)
76. First Day Out by Tee Grizzley (88)
78. The One by The Chainsmokers (91)
80. Scared To Be Lonely by Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa (90)
82. Good Drank by 2 Chainz ft. Gucci Mane & Quavo (95)
86. How Not To by Dan + Shay (98)

Moderate Gains (5 - 9)

8. XO TOUR Llif3 by Lil Uzi Vert (16)
19. Congratulations by Post Malone ft. Quavo (25)
21. Cold by Maroon 5 ft. Future (28)
32. Rolex by Ayo & Teo (39)
49. Redbone by Childish Gambino (56)
51. Hurricane by Luke Combs (57)
56. Hometown Girl by Josh Turner (65)
59. Shining by DJ Khaled ft. Beyoncé & Jay-Z (64)
61. Black by Dierks Bentley (66)
67. Moves by Big Sean (74)
69. Selfish by Future ft. Rihanna (77)
88. Prblms by 6LACK (97)
93. You're Welcome by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson (99)

Big Losses (10+)

17. I Feel It Coming by The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk (7)
26. I Don't Wanna Live Forever (Fifty Shades Darker) by Zayn & Taylor Swift (15)
53. The Fighter by Keith Urban (38)
77. Road Less Traveled by Lauren Alaina (67)
81. Craving You by Thomas Rhett ft. Maren Morris (53)
85. You Look Good by Lady Antebellum (60)
96. Subeme La Radio by Enrique Iglesias ft. Descemer Bueno, Zion & Lennox (81)

Moderate Losses (5 - 9)

15. Tunnel Vision by Kodak Black (15)
18. Bad And Boujee by Migos ft. Lil Uzi Vert (12)
24. Love On The Brain by Rihanna (18)
25. Bounce Back by Big Sean (20)
27. Chained To The Rhythm by Katy Perry (19)
38. Fake Love by Drake (31)
41. Portland by Drake ft. Quavo & Travis Scott (36)
66. Fast by Luke Bryan (58)
84. Blem by Drake (78)
91. Teenage Fever by Drake (83)
98. How Far I'll Go by Alessia Cara (92)

Dropouts

  • Million Reasons by Lady Gaga (41, 20 weeks)
  • Water Under The Bridge by Adele (47, 22 weeks)
  • Bad Things by Machine Gun Kelly x Camila Cabello (50, 23 weeks)
  • Everybody by Logic (59, 1 week)
  • Speak To A Girl by Tim McGraw & Faith Hill (70, 2 weeks)
  • Tin Man by Miranda Lambert (75 1 week)
  • The Heart Part 4 by Kendrick Lamar (85, 2 weeks)
  • Sacrifices by Drake ft. 2 Chainz & Young Thug (89, 3 weeks)
  • Conscience by Kodak Black ft. Future (93, 1 week)
  • Heatstroke by Calvin Harris ft. Young Thug, Pharrell Williams & Ariana Grande (96, 1 week)
  • Human by Rag'n'Bone Man (100, 1 week)

Returning Entries

94. At My Best by Machine Gun Kelly ft. Hailee Steinfeld
95. Still Got Time by Zayn ft. PARTYNEXTDOOR

New Entries

4. Sign of the Times by Harry Styles
50. Now Or Never by Halsey
74. Unforgettable by French Montana ft. Swae Lee
79. Everyday We Lit by YFN Lucci ft. PnB Rock
89. Cake by Flo Rida & 99 Percent
92. Bar At The End Of The World by Kenny Chesney
97. Weak by AJR
99. If I Told You by Darius Rucker
100. Flatliner by Cole Swindell ft. Dierks Bentley

New and Returning Entries Ranked

1. Sign of the Times

The fourth One Direction solo career starts. And so far, Harry's the frontrunner. I didn't know what to expect Harry to go for, but I certainly didn't expect a David Bowie-esque rock ballad the first time I heard this. This is suspenseful, controlled, and just overall gorgeous. It's not the kind of thing I imagine getting popular in 2017, but starpower knows no bounds. Absolutely wonderful. Your move, Liam. Also Niall and Louis, put out some more material already.

2. If I Told You

Hey, it's the Wagon Wheel guy! I think I prefer that song over this. This veers kinda close to your typical soulful country, but it's genuine and sweet and I like it. Despite somewhat veering into Christian country. Eh. I'll take it. Great job.

3. Unforgettable

Huh. Swae Lee's voice works surprisingly well for an dancehall-inspired chorus. Even if there's a lot of echo effects being used. It may be French Montana and dancehall, but it's surprisingly catchy and not that bad. The writing would also be not that bad except for the fact that it still includes stealing your girlfriend. Also the chorus goes on for a little too long. Eh. I'll take this. Good stuff.

4. Weak

The I'm Ready guys. Huh. Kind of a wonky track but it works for what it is. Oddly enough, that chorus reminds me a lot of Flume's Never Be Like You. Only coherent. Still, it's weird and quirky, and not quite great. Still good. Badly executed key change though.

5. At My Best

Kinda nice to see this back. Though this time around I've noticed how stiff the percussion is on the chorus. That could've used some work.

6. Flatliner

I'm not pleased Cole Swindell's new single is his old objectifying bro country shtick. Bleh. This kinda makes me sick. Main guitar line's a little jumpy, but serviceable I think. In fact, the instrumentation as a whole isn't that bad. I'm conflicted.

7. Now Or Never

I saw someone compare this song to Needed Me. I guess I hear it? Somewhat dreary synths and average performance. It's...okay. Nothing special, but it isn't horrible. It's just kinda there. The music video is stupid though. Takes itself way too seriously and some girls bicker audibly during the second verse when Halsey's singing and I'm thinking WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?

8. Bar at the End of the World

The production quality on this song is off. It's oddly fuzzy. Other than that it's a generic song about drinking and stuff. Forgettable. Oh and the chorus kinda reminds me of Warning by Green Day.

9. Still Got Time

When I first listened to this I couldn't tell Zayn and PND apart. This time around I think I can tell a little better, but they still sound way too similar. This could've been a solo PND song and nothing would've changed. And it's still bad.

10. Cake

What the hell is this? I'm less annoyed with this and just more confused. Why is the hook mostly a pitch-shifted voice saying "cake" over and over again? You know there exist puns or other metaphors you could use to justify the cake concept, right? Instrumentation is garbagey too. Generic EDM. Bleh.

11. Everyday We Lit

I wouldn't be celebrating just yet boys. Both of you had pretty low-charting singles and hardly anyone's gonna remember who you are in a couple months. This is just lame and generic for a trap banger. Cake was bad too, but at least it was interestingly bad. This does nothing for me.

1 comment:

  1. You might know this, but Cake is on the same EP as Juju On That Beat and some other stupid songs in that vein. Explains why it's so dumb.

    ReplyDelete