Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Album Review: Nothing Shines Like Neon by Randy Rogers Band


I don't think I've made it a secret that country music isn't a genre I'm much of a fan of. Growing up, all the songs sounded the same to me. That's still kinda true, but I think I've frown to have some more appreciation for the genre. Anyway, that's why I'm listening to a country album. Well, that and Anthrax's new album won't be hitting Spotify anytime soon, due to Scott Ian's disdain for the service. Welp. Okay, country album a-go-go.

1. San Antone
Those opening notes alone put this leaps and bounds above of most of the other country I've heard on the charts over the past year. Nice use of fiddles. Starting off authentic and engaging. I hope the rest of the album is like this.

2. Rain and the Radio
Another really solid song. I appreciate the use of keyboards at the beginning and it doesn't go overboard. I like this.

3. Neon Blues
Most country songs I hear about girls feel pretty contrived. But this isn't so much a love song as it is a story song. And for that it works. Thanks for not sleazing it up, Randy.

4. Things I Need To Quit
This is a bit mean-spirited. But I guess if I like Love Yourself, I can like this too. Besides, it's framed in a somber light, so it's got something going for it. And I appreciate the extra texture in the guitars at the beginning.

5. Look Out Yonder (ft. Alison Krauss & Dan Tyminski)
I don't have a lot to say about this one. It's somber and enjoyable, about a good man.

6. Tequila Eyes
This is another song that focuses on a girl. But again it's more about her and her misery than about trying to pick her up. I think I prefer Neon Blues though.

7. Takin' It as It Comes (with Jerry Jeff Walker)
Kicking it up a notch, eh? About time. Lyrically it's not too impressive, but it's serviceable. The real star of this show is the guitar.

8. Old Moon New
Now this one's a love song. And here's the difference from other country love songs: it sounds genuine. Novel concept, I know. Good stuff.

9. Meet Me Tonight
And another love song. This one one-ups the previous one by showing vulnerability. I can feel Randy's emotion and desperation in every note.

10. Actin' Crazy (with Jamey Johnson)
Oh hey a Superman reference that doesn't sound stupid! Take notes, Puth. These two men do work well together. Not a lot to say about this song, it's just great.

11. Pour One for the Poor One
And another drinking song. That makes sense to end a country album with, actually. Good way to end the album, good song overall.

Final Verdict: It's good. All the songs are well-done with authentic melodies and relatable themes. It's not a particularly deep album, but it is a breath of fresh air after all the Chase Rice, Luke Bryan, and other C-list country acts I've suffered through on the Hot 100. Though it's not particularly memorable or special, it surprisingly works for me.

Rating: 7/10
Best songs: Neon Blues, Takin' It as It Comes, Rain and the Radio, Meet Me Tonight, San Antone
Worst songs: Things I Need To Quit, Look Out Yonder

No comments:

Post a Comment