Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Billboard Hot 100 Highlights February 25th, 2017


So we've got a busy week. Super Bowl helps Lady Gaga get back on her feet, and we have a Big Sean album bomb. Also I dropped a video review of "Shape of You", which you can watch here. HIGHLIGHTS TIME!

Top 20

1. Shape Of You by Ed Sheeran (1) (Biggest Airplay Gainer)
2. Bad and Boujee by Migos ft. Lil Uzi Vert (2)
3. I Don't Wanna Live Forever (Fifty Shades Darker) by Zayn & Taylor Swift (3)
4. Million Reasons by Lady Gaga (Returning)
5. Bad Things by Machine Gun Kelly x Camila Cabello (4)
6. Bounce Back by Big Sean (15)
7. Closer by The Chainsmokers ft. Halsey (5)
8. Scars To Your Beautiful by Alessia Cara (10)
9. Don't Wanna Know by Maroon 5 ft. Kendrick Lamar (6)
10. Paris by The Chainsmokers (11)
11. Fake Love by Drake (8)
12. Starboy by The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk (7)
13. Love On The Brain by Rihanna (14)
14. Black Beatles by Rae Sremmurd ft. Gucci Mane (9)
15. 24K Magic by Bruno Mars (12)
16. I Feel I Coming by The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk (16)
17. Caroline by Aminé (17)
18. Side To Side by Ariana Grande ft. Nicki Minaj (13)
19. Mercy by Shawn Mendes (21)
20. Let Me Love You by DJ Snake ft. Justin Bieber (18)

Fell Off Top 20

24. All Time Low by Jon Bellion (20)
26. T-Shirt by Migos (19)

Big Gains (10+)

21. Body Like A Back Road by Sam Hunt (38) (Biggest Digital Sales Gainer)
37. That's What I Like by Bruno Mars (57)
38. Moves by Big Sean (74) (Biggest Streaming Gainer)
41. Issues by Julia Michaels (64)
69. Guys My Age by Hey Violet (87)
72. Call On Me by Starley (82)
84. Any Ol' Barstool (95)

Moderate Gains (5 - 9)

6. Bounce Back by Big Sean (15)
31. Down by Marian Hill (37)
52. Location by Khalid (60)
63. Think A Little Less by Michael Ray (68)
75. Today by Brad Paisley (81)
80. Fast by Luke Bryan (86)

Big Losses (10+)

45. Love Me Now by John Legend (35)
58. Star Of The Show by Thomas Rhett (45)
59. Play That Song by Train (41)
62. Castle On The Hill by Ed Sheeran (50)
64. A Guy With A Girl by Blake Shelton (52)
73. Slippery by Migos ft. Gucci Mane (48)
79. The Weekend by Brantley Gilbert (69)
90. Road Less Traveled by Lauren Alaina (80)
92. How Far I'll Go by Auli'i Cravalho (75)
100. Kelly Price by Migos ft. Travis Scott (58)

Moderate Losses (5 - 9)

12. Starboy by The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk (7)
14. Black Beatles by Rae Sremmurd ft. Gucci Mane (9)
18. Side To Side by Ariana Grande ft. Nicki Minaj (13)
26. T-Shirt by Migos (19)
29. Heathens by twenty one pilots (23)
33. This Town by Niall Horan (25)
34. Starving by Hailee Steinfeld & Grey ft. Zedd (26)
40. Better Man by Little Big Town (34)
42. Juju On That Beat (TZ Anthem) by Zay Hilfigerrr & Zayion McCall (33)
44. Don't Let Me Down by The Chainsmokers ft. Daya (36)
49. The Greatest by Sia ft. Kendrick Lamar (40)
60. Party Monster by The Weeknd (55)
71. Way Down We Go by Kaleo (63)
81. No Heart by 21 Savage & Metro Boomin (73)
83 How Far I'll Go by Alessia Cara (77)
85. Selfish by PnB Rock (78)

Dropouts

  • Blue Ain't Your Color by Keith Urban (42, 21 weeks)
  • X by 21 Savage & Metro Boomin ft. Future (49, 21 weeks)
  • Call Casting by Migos (62, 1 week)
  • Run Up by Major Lazer ft. PARTYNEXTDOOR & Nicki Minaj (66, 1 weeks)
  • I'm Better by Missy Elliott ft. Lamb (71, 1 week)
  • Get Right Witcha by Migos (72, 1 week)
  • If The Boot Fits by Granger Smith (84, 3 weeks)
  • Scared To Be Lonely by Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa (88, 1 week)
  • Dirty Laundry by Carrie Underwood (90, 16 weeks)
  • Fresh Eyes by Andy Grammer (91, 18 weeks)
  • Culture by Migos ft. DJ Khaled (93, 1 week)
  • Sex With Me by Rihanna (96, 14 weeks)
  • Black by Dierks Bentley (97, 3 weeks)
  • Alone by Marshmello (98, 10 weeks)
  • El Amante by Nicky Jam (99, 1 week)


Returning Entries

4. Million Reasons by Lady Gaga
50. Bad Romance by Lady Gaga

New Entries

22. No Favors by Big Sean ft. Eminem
43. Believer by Imagine Dragons
68. My Old Man by Zac Brown Band
70. Sacrifices by Big Sean ft. Migos
74. Halfway Off The Balcony by Big Sean
76. Jump Out The Window by Big Sean
86. Owe Me by Big Sean
87. Beauty and the Beast by Ariana Grande & John Legend
89. I Don't by Mariah Carey ft. YG
93. Now & Later by Sage The Gemini
94. In Case You Didn't Know by Brett Young
95. Look At Me! by XXXTENTACION
97. Light by Big Sean ft. Jeremih

New and Returning Entries Ranked

1. Now & Later

Sage comes back with a vengeance. Tropical influences pumped up on steroids. Awesome. Even if it's kinda overproduced. Plus Sage's a lot more energetic than he usually is. Still around Big Sean levels, but still, it's an improvement. Lyrically it's nothing special, but at least he had the courtesy to not try to steal someone else's girl. But man, I am digging this.

2. My Old Man

Probably the best song Zac Brown and crew have made that I've heard since "Colder Weather". A down-tempo country ballad about a father figure. It's heartwarming and sounds beautiful. I don't have tears in my eyes, you do!

3. Bad Romance

I remember when this song's video was YouTube's most viewed video. or close. Now it's not even close. Still holds up incredibly well. Instrumentation is synthy, bassy, and overall gives an unsettling yet catchy atmosphere. Plus, looking back it's interesting to see how much Gaga's music has changed since she debuted. You know, now that she's doing blues rock and country. Gaga should really make a hard rock album. That has nothing to do with this song...

4. Million Reasons

Largest re-entry in Billboard history. Tied with a couple other songs but still. I have no idea if the Super Bowl push is sustainable and could actually make this song a hit, but I'm all for it. We need Gaga back as a pop sensation, and this is still a good song. Though not her best. Still, at this point, I'll take what I can get.

5. No Favors

This is gonna be the album's next single, isn't it? It's the highest charting debut, it's got Eminem, and it's menacing as hell. Plus I think it connects much better than the other droning tracks that debuted this week. Eminem's verse is weird in flow and wordplay, but I like it for the most part, just for how weird it is. It's bumping. Yeah, that's an unpopular opinion, but I'm sticking to it.

6. Light

When I saw the track listing for "I Decided.", I was a little confused why "Bounce Back" didn't open the album. But hearing this, it makes sense. Kinda feels inspired by "Ultralight Beam" from "The Life of Pablo". It's down-tempo and introspective. Sean's lyrics are well-written and Jeremih delivers a pretty great hook. Not sure it's quite as good as "Ultralight Beam", but it's a stellar, emotional track in its own right.

7. Beauty and the Beast

When I first saw who was doing this cover for the new movie, I was worried. I like Ariana and all, but I didn't think she was the right choice. Fortunately, my fears were unjustified, because this is pretty good. Mostly because of the production, which is able to keep the spirit of the original while modernizing it. Also, Ariana's able to keep a good level between her cooing and belting. Yeah, this works for me. Crisis averted.

8. Believer

Yeah, this isn't really Imagine Dragons' best. Mostly because of some odd production choices. Feels like the chorus should have more power than it actually does. Still, from a composition standpoint, this is solid. Again, not anywhere close to ID's best, but I enjoy it. I imagine it charted kinda high because it was used in the new Nintendo Switch commercial that aired during the Super Bowl. Of course I could be wrong. I can't wait for the Switch.

9. In Case You Didn't Know

The "Sleep Without You" guy is back. And I kinda prefer that song for having more groove. This is a typical down-tempo romantic country ballad. Doesn't really do anything for me but there's not that much wrong with it. I don't expect to remember this. Sorry Brett.

10. Sacrifices

Has more energy than some of the other tracks on this album. Unfortunately part of that is thanks to the Migos influence, like Sean imitating their staccato flow at one point. Still, I guess it's not bad. But I wish the production is better.

11. Halfway Off The Balcony

Among the more boring, bassy tracks on "I Decided." that I've heard, this is one of the more tolerable. Not a fan of the slow production, but the some of the lyrics like the "chemistry means way more than anatomy" are actually really good. But eh. I'd consider this middling.

12. Jump Out The Window

Anthony Fantano and Mark Grondin consider this song among their least favorites on "I Decided.". And, I can see it. Sean has a good flow and a reference to Mario Kart that actually connects. But the production isn't good. It feels incomplete. Had potential, but it doesn't really evolve. Sorry.

13. Owe Me

This song is really uncomfortable. The lyrics are incredibly bitter and kinda hypocritical. The bassy production doesn't help either. Not a fan at all. Usually when Sean told someone off like on "I Don't F*** With You" he made it fun and ridiculous. Here's it's surprisingly serious and bitter. Also it ends with a huge spoken part thing. Sample? I don't know. Great. No.

14. Look At Me!

The official video for this song is a picture of a kid with a long, brown cigarette up his nose. Or maybe a flare? Either way, sums up this song perfectly. I'll just let you interpret that because I really don't want to talk about this song.

15. I Don't

Oh hey, Mariah's back. And she made a trap love song. Wasn't the appeal of Mariah that she had opulent production and a beautiful voice? I mean, I guess her voice sounds pretty good, but not against this generic bass trap production. So skin-crawlingly bad. YG's parts are kinda awkward too. This is an unmitigated disaster of a comeback. You would think that Mariah would avoid making a song in a similar vein of "Obsessed" after that killed her career.

No comments:

Post a Comment